Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

neck turning tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: neck turning tool

I always size the neck first with a Lee Collet. The Lee Collets are noted for leaving the ID of the neck .001" to .002" below caliber and this is still a tight fit with the mandrel but that is what I want.

The Forster Hot 100 works well for what I want. It has a wide blade for a smooth cut

and the Forster reamers have the same shaft size

so that if you set your brass up in a tight chamber with .003" neck clearance you can use the reamer on the once fired brass along with the outside neck turner to trap the brass for a very consistant turn

Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopaka81 View Post
I have the same tool. The one thing I do not like is difficulty getting the first time un-turned brass turned. The Forster collets fit extremely tight and it is a royal PIA to get them started. At first I thought I was doing something wrong. It was so bad I had to use case lube on the inside of the necks to force them on the collet. I was tempted to beat them onto the collet with a rubber mallet. I ruined one piece of brass using a pair of vice grips on the base trying to get one started. The instructions said to full length size the brass prior to turning the necks. My RCBS expander plug inside the FL die was not opening up the case mouth enough to allow the collet into the brass. Not sure what the solution is, I have not tried my turned brass since then. Perhaps that is just the price that is paid in getting it done the first time.
Sinclair advertizes a casehead holder that will chuck up in a drill motor. I am thinking that is the route to go with this neck tuner.
I suspect this is a common problem with all "hand held" neck turners.
The problem you are having is common...if you skip a step. After your brass has been sized, it needs to be run over an expander mandrel. I like the Sinclair expander, they are a pretty good match to the Forster neck turning mandrels though you may have to turn off a half a thousandth or so to make things fit just right. A nice, not extremely tight interference fit is what you are after.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Hey guys, this may or may not be needed, but since it was mentioned and I didn't see any clarification, I thought I'd chime in here for a moment. In re the comment about inside neck reaming, we're talking about something entirely different here. Inside neck reaming is done to increase clearance, and WILL NOT UNIFORM the brass, unless a very specific die and reamer are used in conjunction with one another. This isn't normally the situation, so it's most likely that if you had a concentricity problem before, now you just have a concentricity problem with thinner neck walls.

Inside neck reaming is a viable and useful operation, but it's best application is to reduce excessively thick necks that have resulted from necking cases down to a smaller caliber (30-06 down to 25-06, for example). Necessary at times, but for entirely different reasons.

Outside neck turning can be used to reduce neck thickness, but its primary purpose is to clean up those nasty concentricity problems. Two totally different animals, and they shouldn't be confused. Hope that helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Kevin is correct; however, after inside reaming you will need to squeeze the outside of the necks down in order to get good tension on the bullet. This step is not necessary if you do not inside ream. I have a full set of inside reamers and have used them in the past, but no longer.

Get a good outside neck turning tool, follow the instructions and you will reduce neck thickness and improve concentricity. Also, get a sizer die which accomodates bushings to increase neck tension. Usuallly, a bushing about .002" or .003" less than loaded diameter will suffice.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

+1 Gene
Outside neck turning works just fine for me.

The only time I know of where inside reaming would be considered is for cartridges that form donuts after repeated firing/sizings. These are cartridges that require constant trimming, and none of mine do. But in this case, stretched brass is forced forward with FL resizings, causing shoulder brass to end up in the necks(donut). This again could be managed with outside turning, but I can imagine a neck-shoulder junction touch-up with an inside reamer would be far easier.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

A doughnut in the neck is of no consequence as long as base of the bullet is above it. My K&M neck turning mandrel has a cutter on it to remove the doughnut.