Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

neck turning tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

neck turning tool

I've been turning outside necks with the Forster neck turning tool. Is there a better tool to turn necks with? I'm looking at switching to one of the Sinclair tools as I have found any thing with the Sinclair name on it to be very good. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: neck turning tool

A little more info would let us respond with a LOT more certainty.

First, Forster makes two, a hand held neck turner AND a case trimmer shaft mounted neck turner. Which are you using?

Then, what is your complaint, what is your turner NOT doing now?

Finally, tell us how you are using your present turner; perhaps you need to change your technique instead of your tool!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

I have the same tool. The one thing I do not like is difficulty getting the first time un-turned brass turned. The Forster collets fit extremely tight and it is a royal PIA to get them started. At first I thought I was doing something wrong. It was so bad I had to use case lube on the inside of the necks to force them on the collet. I was tempted to beat them onto the collet with a rubber mallet. I ruined one piece of brass using a pair of vice grips on the base trying to get one started. The instructions said to full length size the brass prior to turning the necks. My RCBS expander plug inside the FL die was not opening up the case mouth enough to allow the collet into the brass. Not sure what the solution is, I have not tried my turned brass since then. Perhaps that is just the price that is paid in getting it done the first time.
Sinclair advertizes a casehead holder that will chuck up in a drill motor. I am thinking that is the route to go with this neck tuner.
I suspect this is a common problem with all "hand held" neck turners.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

One thought just occured to me. Could this be why inside the neck reamers are so popular?
Just a thought.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

I stopped using the inside reamers years ago, when I discovered holding bullet tension was difficult.

Before neck turning, always use an expander. The Sinclair and K&M are both good. I have the K&M and can recommend it. With the case head holder chucked up in a small cordless drill, turning necks is a snap. Tip: Always lube the expander and turning mandrel frequently.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

I have both of them from Forster. The hand held one I have had longer and I have
never had any problems. Works Great!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

The little HOT 100 from Forster is a good neck turner if your bit is parallel to the case neck. Some discussion here previously with bits that weren't straight. I trim cases first lightly to square off the end followed by a light inside chamfer. As said previously, using an expander is a MUST to "push" all the neck thickness variation to the outside to be turned off. A Sinclair cartridge holder on a cordless drill makes turning a snap. I just use low RPM and lube to avoid heat.