Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck turning; take me to school

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck turning; take me to school

I've been thinking about ordering one of these. Anybody using one and do you like it?

17-338 Cal. Neck Turning Lathe
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

That is a good choice . You may also need a neck expander die . With a mandrel that is just a fraction bigger than the mandrel in the neck turner .
At .314 the .313 rounds should chamber . However for hunting that is a bit tight . What I would do is just take a very slight skim cut to only clean up the necks and only take off about .001 to 002 . Don't worry if the neck does not clean up all the way around , some might some will not . Then load and fire them a few times . Then re-turn with the same setting and they might clean up a bit more . That way you will not take off too much brass .
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

I have a .313" neck on my 280AI

and use a Forster Hot 100 hand turner shown here with a mandrel and a reamer

I outside neck turn my new brass to a thickness that be as close as I can get it to have the OD of the fired unsized brass have an outside diameter of .316" (.003" neck clearance in chamber). That will put the ID at .287" which is .003" over caliber and that is the size of the reamer.

That way I can use the outside neck turner and the reamer after fireforming to trap the brass between the reamer and outside neck turner for a clean up on the outside and ream the inside to take care of any minor obstructions like small donuts etc.

I like the Forster because of the cheap reamers and the wide cutting blade (makes a smooth cut)

I only have to turn for 3 tight custom chambers but often put a light partial turn clean up turn on other calibers
Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with bullet bumper's posts here, except the re-turning after fireforming.
That won't work well, and should never be needed.

Best to turn brand new necks that have been expanded/turned with a good system(i.e. SINCLAIR).
Take it up onto the shoulders a bit with closest matching to new brass shoulder/cutter angle, to initially eliminate donuts from forming.
After every firing & downsizing of necks, run the Sinclair mandrel through each to drive any thickness variance outward for straighter bullet seating.

If you heavily FL size donuts will eventually show up, and if a problem, this can be managed with a reamer. You will never need to ream otherwise.

Keep it simple(not cheap) and you'll have good results.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
I have a .313" neck on my 280AI

and use a Forster Hot 100 hand turner shown here with a mandrel and a reamer

I outside neck turn my new brass to a thickness that be as close as I can get it to have the OD of the fired unsized brass have an outside diameter of .316" (.003" neck clearance in chamber). That will put the ID at .287" which is .003" over caliber and that is the size of the reamer.

That way I can use the outside neck turner and the reamer after fireforming to trap the brass between the reamer and outside neck turner for a clean up on the outside and ream the inside to take care of any minor obstructions like small donuts etc.

I like the Forster because of the cheap reamers and the wide cutting blade (makes a smooth cut)

I only have to turn for 3 tight custom chambers but often put a light partial turn clean up turn on other calibers
I use this Forster turning tool to as well. However, I carefully chuck my brass in a drill press, lubricate with soapy water and speed up the process significantly. I makes a much nicer finish than doing it by hand also. You just have to make sure and keep it lubed and keep the heat down.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

I have the forester as well. I clean up all my necks on stuff I shoot to 1K or farther. It seems to make a difference. I have many collets. It works very well. I do everyhting by hand. Sometimes turn in the living room over small trashcan while watching movies with the family.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

great thread
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw