Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck Turning/ should I /shouldnt I ?????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Neck Turning/ should I /shouldnt I ?????????

I would not bother, unless your necks need a "little" truing up, and you decide to use Wilson type die or equiv. with the proper size bushing. I'd also get the chamber type seater. Otherwise, neck sizing is probably all you need. You are talking about precision loading techniques for a hunting rifle and the law of diminishing returns is in effect.

Good hunting. LB

PS, but it would be good practice, for when you have a tight necked rifle that would appreciate your efforts.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

"You are talking about precision loading techniques for a hunting rifle and the law of diminishing returns is in effect."

Just thought I'd get that up in bold type. It deserves to be. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I disagree. <font color="red"> In long range shooting, the name of the game is eliminate as many variables as possible. </font> It might only make 1% difference, but it just might eliminate a flyer caused by uneven bullet release caused by one side of the neck being thicker. And if that flyer was the one that would have been aimed at a critter....

I do agree with some other posters here that neck turning (as it is called) may be detrimental to accuracy if you are taking more than just the high side off in a non-tight neck chamber because it will be work hardening your brass more than necessary every time you pull the trigger and every time you size.

Maybe there should be two terminologies here. Neck turning meaning taking more than .001" off for use in a tight neck chamber

and

neck buzzing? meaning to just take off the high side of the brass to provide better neck wall consistency to be used in a regular chamber.

Just a thought for what it is worth. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

In the spirit of good conversation, however, we still must explain the success of Richard Schatz, whose story is linked in my first post in this thread. He's a world record holder who does not neck turn.

Just keepin' the fire poked. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 01-12-2006, 08:48 AM
SPONSOR

I was hoping to get a response on this one from you GG

I guess what I am getting after is trying to prep my brass the best as possible. The 25-06 is a savage so I know it wouldnt do much for that but I didnt know if I could practice on it and then use that experince to really spiff up brass for my 270 AM and my future Kirby gun

Think it would be worth it at all or what????

thank
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Richard doesn't neck turn for that particular barrel. That is correct. However, he is using Lapua 6br brass in a fully custom rifle chambered for a non-tight neck but it is still very small tolerances I'm sure. In other words, he is using top notch equipment which means his brass probably had very close neck wall thickness right out of the box. Both my lots of 6br brass had less than .001" variance.

Now, this is one guy with one good group. Now lets look at how many of us buzz our necks compared to the few who don't. It is a high ratio.

Remember, consistency is the key to accuracy. I wouldn't let one isolated scenario lead me to believe that that is the way it should be done always. FWIW. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The 25-06 is a savage so I know it wouldnt do much for that

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't short change the ol' Savage. It might just shoot even better with a good neck buzz. Often, the Savage rifles have better than average chambers in my experience. And even if it doesn't, giving the high side a shave will always give you more consistent bullet release no matter how sloppy the chamber is.

And you are right, it will be good practice for your other more "serious" rifles. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it