Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck Turning/ should I /shouldnt I ?????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
SPONSOR

Neck Turning/ should I /shouldnt I ?????????

I am wondering if I would see any accuracy improvment in my 25-06 and other guns if I decided to start turning necks?? To be fair I am getting good accuracy so far but I just cant let a good thing rest.

What does neck turning involve, cost, is it a pain in the ass, etc??????

just looking for general info

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Neck Turning/ should I /shouldnt I ?????????

THIS GUY... doesn't bother turning necks. So I think it's safe to say we don't need to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Lerch, isn't your 25-06 a factory chamber? Last year I decided I wanted to try to turn necks for my factory 308. Despite many, more experienced shooters, advice not to do it for a factory chamber, my hard-headed ***** decided I was still going to give it a try. It actually opened my groups up! I guess I just created way to much clearance. After that experience I will never bother to turn for factory chamber.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on how anal you are. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

During my benchrest shooting days w/factory REM 40X or custom chambers whether tight or not, I turned the necks. It was after a pretty lengthy sorting process. Only turned the ones that made the final cut. The rest were relagated to the hunting rifle.

Did it make a difference. I think it prevented that occassional flyer. Won my share of matches. However, reading wind and mirage was the key and by far out weighed any neck turning gains.

Just carried the habit over to the hunting rifle for a while. I don't do it any more though the chamber isn't factory but is standard.

Am doing some tests at the moment w/a 338 Win factory. Just dinking around trying to get the SD down a bit. Things are pretty good for straight, 0.003 max but SDs are a bit high. Am missing my steel yote at 740 way too often even though the 200 groups are in the 5s. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Heck, just try it and see. It's no hassle, and reasonable cost but I wouldn't spend the $ unless I was going to do it. more than once.

What may be better is a Wilson inside neck reamer. I use one quite often. Seems as though w/high pressure loads, the brass flows forward.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

I recommend that if you turn the necks for a factory chambered rifle that you do not resize the whole neck on future reloads. Leave about 1/4 or so of the neck unsized. The unsized part of the neck will center the neck of the case in the chamber and hold it there, thereby aligning it with the bore and providing better accuracy.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

About nine months ago I started neck turning. It is easy to do and I do it while watching TV. It is probably a skill worth acquiring.

I ruined some brass by turning the neck too much. In three different hunting rifles I did not see any improvement. Perhaps if one can shoot little tiny bughole groups one might see the difference.
Other thing is that turning Norma brass is kinda stupid for an amatuer. It is already pretty good. Remington brass seems to need it more but the gun that shoots remington brass wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Neck turning should be done on once fired brass. I used very old brass to learn on and then threw it all away and then turned some new brass.

I just used the Forster hand turner and would do it while watching NASCAR.

Am I glad I learned how to do it? Yes. Did it help? no.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Just to throw in my 2cent's, if you have a factory chamber you may not be doing any good at all neck turning except to just turn off the high side to make the brass more concentric. I have seen some factory chambers as much as .015 bigger than a loaded factory round. neck turning in a senario like this is counterproductive. on the other hand if you have a custom chamber meant for .001-to.003 clearance you can absolutely get better accuracy neck turning.
UB