Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck turning for a hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Silver Member

Neck turning for a hunting rifle

I did a search on neck turning to see if this is a process that I should start doing. Part of the problem I am having is about half of everyone that replied to the various neckturning threads stated that neck turning is mostly for BR shooters, and not worth the time for a factory hunting rifle with a standard caliber chamber. Most of the time there are arguments going both ways on any topic, and I don' recall many of the respected regulars stating anything positive for turning necks for a hunting rifle. So the question goes, is neck turning a waist of time for a factory chambered hunting rilfe? If it is not a waist of time, what is the distance you should be shooting, with what kinid of grouping, before neck turning will show any improvements?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck turning for a hunting rifle

Most BR shooters are shooting rifles with "tight neck" chambers. For them, neck turning is usually necessary to obtain more clearance between the case neck and chamber neck. Yes, you can turn necks for hunting rifles - but factory rifles usually do not have tight necks; there is sufficient clearance between case neck and chamber neck. The benefit in turning factory rifle necks is IMO, minimal. I don't usually do it. If you decide to try it, just barely skim the necks to make them as concenric as possible.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

If I had a factory chambered rifle and was only shooting 500 yards or less, I would not bother neck turning, just go ahead and do load developement to see how the rifle shot.
If I have a custom built longrange rifle for 500 yards and beyond, I am going to neck turn the brass. I want to do everything I can to help my accuracy at longrange.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Bronze Member

The only advantage that I can think of is that you will improve the bullet run out in your reloads.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

I shoot a .25-06 AI with a tight neck. If I knew how much of a pain it was to get the first 100 cases I would of had them chamber it with a standard neck. So far I'm still on that first 100 so it isn't really any harder to reload for than a standard case. I really doubt I will ever do one again. Just clean up the necks and reload on my other cases and I'm good to go and the accuracy is just as good.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

In a factory rifle you can get equally good results to neck turning by culling your brass of pieces that have lopsided necks (brass thicker on one side than the other) or crooked necks.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

This is the feeling that I had, but I just want to ask. Thanks for saving me some cash.