Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck turning and expansion tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: Neck turning and expansion tools

Nope, mine is perfectly square. You've got a bad cutter. Get another one or two.

Forster Precision Products Individual Component Price List

$18.00 seems a little steep but I don't think you could do a good job with that cutter.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

There is a brief explanation of Don Nielson's pumpkin on 6mmbr.com. But I think they can be a little harder to come by. If you try to contact him, the numbers are disconnected and website down. Heard it has great results, but unless you are BR, then not likely what you need.

My Forster is also perfectly square. Replace the cutter

Any videos by David Tubb's, Darryl Holland, How to shoot beyond belief (reloading section) are all ok for the "new to reloading"
Old 04-09-2009, 03:01 PM

thanks guys, just sent it back to the dealer....for refund :( now I need a new tool
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

That is not going to make a difference I have a sinclair neck turning tool that does the same thing, what you will see is some slight tooling marks on the outside of the neck. Thats all. What cases are you turning and are you doing it for a tight neck chamber?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

If your cutter is not square as in the picture, it will produce a conical neck because the deepest part of the cut is at the back. When you get to the shoulder, it cant cut anymore and you have a case mouth thinner than the brass at the shoulder. This would be very undesirable, replace the cutter. Since you already sent it back, I think you were wise.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 AM

that how I was thinking about the problem.....
but the dealer advised me that this is the way to have the neck survive longer, in his words: "...this conical part will become thiner with time and it will give you more life-time for brass...: what a.......just convinced him and sent it back )))))

thanks a lot, guys )))
Old 04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

It will not make the neck brass thinner or thicker at any one place or conical. Think about it. The point of the blade that is closest to the mandrel still needs to rotate around the neck as the mandrel is being pushed into the neck toward the shoulder and it will cut as it goes. It will also cut as the mandrel and cutter is being pulled back toward the case mouth.

What it will do is to make it harder to get a smooth cut and it will make striations around and around the neck for a very uneven finish, depending upon how wide the tip is closest to the mandrel. Sorta like the K & M does with it's narrow cutter.