Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck turning and expansion tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Neck turning and expansion tools

Guys,

I'm just before starting into neck turning. I've seen Sinclair and K&M tools advertised as well as a Pumpkin. Please give me a run down of the tools available with the positives and negatives of each. Also please give me ideas of how to get started in neck turning with explicit instructions (set up, adjusting the cutter, lub, with power and without, etc., etc., etc.). I do not know anyone locally that can teach me. Do y'all know of any resources such as great videos that teach advanced loading techniques such as brass prep, neck turning, concentricity, load development for accuracy, etc? I would rather watch someone do it correctly than my trying to figure things out from a text. My experience has been loading standard rounds with a Rock Chucker press as well as using an arbor press - trying to produce the most accurate rounds that I can. I hunt, have no interest in competition. I'm attempting to make the jump to accurate, advanced loading for long range hunting. Most of my shooting has been out to about 400 yards. I realize the quantum leap it is to go beyond 600. I want to get there. I have shot at 1000 and 1300 yards with coaching. I'm hooked. Please give as much detail as you can. Thank you.

Paul

Old 04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck turning and expansion tools

Paul,

Hand Loading for long Range Shooting DVD Seems like the right one to have. I would definitely give them a try.

Good luck to you!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

I have the Forster hand held turner - MidwayUSA - Forster Hand Held Outside Neck Turner

I like it because it is economical, has a wider blade than most

and you can also buy an inside neck reamer that will interchange with the outside neck turning mandrel

For expanding for the Forster, I just neck size with a Lee Collet and it works perfect, no separate expander needed.

I have used a friend's K & M and it is certainly a fine tool. The blade was a lot narrower and it costs a lot more, especially if you get all the attachements and cutting mandrels.

The most important thing you will need to make neck turning more accurate is a ball micrometer and a stand to hold it is worth the money

a caliper just won't cut it.

Outside neck turning is not necessary with factory chambers. I have 3 tight necked chambers that all require that I take off brass in order to get the recommended .003" clearance around the neck. If you don't have a custom chamber tight neck then just skimming the high points off the neck can't hurt and IMO it will decrease the amount of runout.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Deos anyone know what a Pumpkin neck turning tool is and can you give me any information about it?

Paul
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 AM

hi guys.....could somebody take and post a close picture of the Forester neck turning tool when the cutter is slightly touching the pilot.....
I think I have a problem with missallaignmnet.....
thanks a lot
Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
hi guys.....could somebody take and post a close picture of the Forester neck turning tool when the cutter is slightly touching the pilot.....
I think I have a problem with missallaignmnet.....
thanks a lot

Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 PM

thanks a lot, woods seems like my Forster has a problem.....
when I move the cutter to the pilot, it touches it only in one point, opposite to the shoulder angle.... in this case I have not a cylindrical but conical neck.....
if you look at the light though the tool, does it have an angular space between cutter and pilot?

notice a contact point.......does yours one have the same?

Last edited by kostianych; 04-07-2009 at 11:45 PM.