Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

neck turning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

MW:
I have to ask if you mean neck sizing and not neck turning? I take it as you want to neck size, which makes sense. I wouldn't neck turn a factory chambered rifle normally. Then you need a neck sizing die. Just trying to clarify.
1kstr
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Link here

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jessee99/doughnuts.html to get more info than you need to know about Doughnuts, other than Krispy Kreme. I happen to use a battery powered screw driver to power the K&M cutter and for National Match shooting ( piles of rounds) use a drill press powered case trimmer. For BR it is hand only. The late Chet Brown, Brown Precision founder, friend and HUnter and br shooter, developed the run-out data and the first tool to measure it in the 1960's. I have a ten thousands dial on mine---.
CatShooter, I am 71 and slipped a finger; I meant to type "in HIs" response. See what hepenz when the kaupphy level is low?
Overbore
Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

re: the banana shaped cartridges.

My guess is he's talking about those cases that have thicker walls on one side than the other and thus spring back un-evenly. I usually just use them for foulers or toss them in the round file.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
re: the banana shaped cartridges.

My guess is he's talking about those cases that have thicker walls on one side than the other and thus spring back un-evenly. I usually just use them for foulers or toss them in the round file.

AJ
I take all of my Banana shaped cases, split them down the middle...

... and put ice cream, whipped cream, and mouse sprinkles on them ;) ;)

I was tuggin his chain ;) ;)

LRH member #23
Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbore View Post
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jessee99/doughnuts.html to get more info than you need to know about Doughnuts, other than Krispy Kreme.
Link no workie!

LRH member #23
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Thanks again for the responses. My interest in neck turning came from wanting to remove another potential variable in my reloadin with the obvious goal of improving accuracy. It appears it may not be worth the time or effort.I guess that leaves more time for scouting and shooting. Probably a better investment for my "medium"-long range hunting goals.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw185 View Post
Thanks again for the responses. My interest in neck turning came from wanting to remove another potential variable in my reloadin with the obvious goal of improving accuracy. It appears it may not be worth the time or effort.I guess that leaves more time for scouting and shooting. Probably a better investment for my "medium"-long range hunting goals.
mw185,
There is a bunch of people that think Ford is better than Dodge, on the other hand another bunch feel that dodge is better than Ford. I all depends who you talk to.
It's almost the same with neck turning, there is a bunch of knowledgeable people telling you not to waste your time on the other hand there is a bunch telling you you should do it. I have been reloading over 30 years and have read a bunch about different opinions. What I did was I tried it and decide for my self. I found that in factory rifles you don't get as much benefit but... but you still do. There definatelly is more consitance that a good chronograph will show and your groups will show. It my boost your confidence.
Read some more on it and maybe try it. I think is worth my efforts if I do it right!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!