Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck Turning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Bronze Member

Neck Turning

For those that have tight neck chambering or those that neck turn their brass,
are or is the entire neck turned from the case mouth to the shoulder?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck Turning

YES - The cutter should be adjusted so that it just touches the shoulder.

You should also know that the carbide cutter bit comes in different angles to match the shoulder angle. There is at least a standard angle cutter (whatever that is) and a 40 deg cutter, and may possibly be others.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
... the carbide cutter bit comes in different angles to match the shoulder angle.

[/ QUOTE ]Very interesting. I've got two neck turning tools; one a hand job and the other chucks in a drill press. Both have the lead corner of the sharpened edge radiused to about .010-inch to just touch the case shoulder so they can be used with all shoulder angles. The pilots on both are adjustable and its shoulder stops against the case mouth to keep the cutter from going too far into the shoulder
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

depends on what kind of case neck turner u have. I have a wilson, and a sinclair for those you have to use a cutter with the same angle the shoulder of your case. With a foster lyman or rcbs u just set them up to stop at the shoulder. Hope i helped Mo
Old 04-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
YES - The cutter should be adjusted so that it just touches the shoulder.

You should also know that the carbide cutter bit comes in different angles to match the shoulder angle. There is at least a standard angle cutter (whatever that is) and a 40 deg cutter, and may possibly be others.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are JUST touching the shoulder, you WILL get donuts...need to go a bit into the shoulder...

JB
Old 04-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
if you are JUST touching the shoulder, you WILL get donuts...need to go a bit into the shoulder...

[/ QUOTE ]I just touch the shoulder with my neck turners' cutters and I've not seen a donut in over 50 reloads on the same .308 Win. case.

It would be interesting to compare in detail the tools and techniques that makes results not exactly the same between the "different strokes for different folks" stuff that reloaders do. In side-by-side comparisons with a buddy years ago we found a lot of little ideocyncricies that make a difference; sometimes a big difference.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Agree with Jason on needing to go into the neck a little for most cartridges.

Also agree that the standard 308 is not noted for pushing brass in the neck either. Tight necked 308 is very unusual anyway, in fact cannot ever remember ever seeing one as most are standard chambers and would not show brass flow anyway.

However, take a case, neck it down one size and load a hot round and you will have brass moving into the neck.

I use the K&M Neck turner. It is the only one that I am aware of that cuts the donut, has the blade radiased to cut down onto the shoulder and has accurate .0002 markings and adjustments. Ken Markles number is (717) 292-3175

BH