Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

neck terning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: neck terning

[ QUOTE ]
col48, take a measurement of one of your loaded rounds just for curiousity.I talked to Dave,and while he didnt have the exact neck dia. spec Nesika uses,he was guessing .312-.315
Nesika usually makes thier guns to a match chamber but unless the customer specifies a tight neck,they have to chamber looser for what ever the customer shoots.To improve accuracy on thier guns Neskia will use a min. saami chamber spec with a tight throat.My guess that without turning your neck clearance is already .004-.005 and being as Norma is pretty uniform brass,thats why I said I wouldnt mess with it.Just for curiousity sake can you post the loaded neck dia.?

[/ QUOTE ]

hi
i have the chamber drawing,but am unable to put it on hear.
a loaded round is .3085
if you send me a email i will send you the chamber drawing.

col48@ukonline.co.uk

it is minimum saami speck
thanks
Colin

Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Colin, I couldnt figure out how to post the reamer drawing either and probably shouldnt without Daves permission but it is a .315 neck dia. So youve got a total of .0065 neck clearance (.00325 per side).Norma brass is pretty uniform and IMO you have little to gain by turning.I havent seen the Norma WSM brass,but WSM brass is fairly thick (by your measurement must be close to .016")so if you are finding a little variance in the brass,its not going to hurt to clean it up.Youll probably find bigger accuracy gains in your other components.
When you get a chance to shoot post up some pics.Ive always had some interest in the short mags.Im getting closer to having a 300 saum worked over by Kirby.Cant wait to try it on some prarie dogs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

hi Ballistic64
i am waiting for my McMillan stock to come,they are running behind.my m8 has the 300 wsm so i will see if he will put some picks of that up as well.(he is waiting on a stock as well)when i get round to micing my brass i will see how uniformed it is,if its say within .001 i will leave it alone,
if more than that should i take of about 80% ????

how much neck tension would you start with.???
it has a h&s box mag.
the last 270 wsm i had was a cracker (tikka t3 ) they seem to be shooting very well,in fact my m8 used to shoot the 30 06 but is giving the 300 wsm a go after seeing how well the 270 wsm of mine shot.that shot 1/2 moa @ 100y all day.but that was with out cleaning up the necks,(win brass)but when i took of 80% it shot crap.(factory chamber,)

thanks again for your help
Colin
Old 05-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

I doubt if you'll find your brass out more than .001,but if it is, and it was mine, I'd clean it up.I'd agree with Bart and go .003 under your loaded round for the neck sizing.Sometimes a light tension can improve accuracy but its not a good idea with a magnum and loaded rounds in the magazine.