Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck sizing? what tools?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

Neck sizing? what tools?

So i have been getting some help on here and i would like to get the most out of my gun, so my next step i beleive is to do some neck sizing so i can have the same wall thick ness, for consistant tension, also i beleive that this will help with bullet run out also?
So any tips and what are the tools that you use or recomend for me to start this.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Neck sizing? what tools?

Hey isu, you can neck size which is using a die to form the neck only so it will hold the bullet but this does not have anything to do with "same wall thickness". To get the same neck thickness you have to outside neck turn which is removing brass from the outside of the neck with a turner

Two different things.

If you are asking about outside neck turning equipment and turning then you will need

A turner (the one in the pic is a Forster Hot 100) and a good way to measure neck thickness (a caliper just won't cut it). You need a ball micrometer and I highly recommend a hands free stand

Last edited by woods; 06-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu600rr View Post
So i have been getting some help on here and i would like to get the most out of my gun, so my next step i beleive is to do some neck sizing so i can have the same wall thick ness, for consistant tension, also i beleive that this will help with bullet run out also?
So any tips and what are the tools that you use or recomend for me to start this.
here a good article
Outside Case Neck Turning for Factory Rifles | The Reloading Press
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

woods, if you don't mind me asking, who's ball micrometer is that and did it come with the stand?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

The mic Woods is using is nice. But needs a proper stop for measuring unturned brass. Easy mod..
Example of what I mean:

You can use a neck mic to measure your neck brass for same thickness, and low thickness variance. With a good lot of brass, you should have plenty enough that match. Throw the rest away or turn them.

Last edited by Mikecr; 06-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
The mic Woods is using is nice. But needs a proper stop for measuring unturned brass. Easy mod..
Example of what I mean:

You can use a neck mic to measure your neck brass for same thickness, and low thickness variance. With a good lot of brass, you should have plenty enough that match. Throw the rest away or turn them.
I use the same one
SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Sinclair/Starret Case Neck Micrometer -
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Tom H, to say I'm partial to Sinclair would be an understatement but I don't own one and wondering how do you like it?