Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck sizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'll make a note of that and prior to, I'll shoot you a PM and we can meet in person. I usually go with some of the group I shoot with and I have a very good friend who lives just south of there (out in the swampland) who usually shows up too. Real good waterfowl hunting in the grassy marshlands to the south of Route 2. Ohio bangs me pretty hard on the non resident permit but it's cheaper than going out west and my Federal stamp is good anywhere.

I never have been to Perry to "shoot" but have spent a LOT of time there. In the 50's and 60's when my father was 1sgt of his NG company....mom and I usually spent a week there. After pop passed away I myself spent 7 summer camps at Perry.

From tar paper covered shacks to billet troops in to tearing down the mess halls that were their for them to build new facilities....been more than just a time or two.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
As long as we are discussing dies, I want to bring up a hint of sorts...

On RCBS dies, the expander ball decapping pin collet sometimes appears to be off center when you rotate the die body and observe the end of the expander ball rod. Whats occuring is the the slop in the threaded rod allows the jam nut to lock the shaft slightly offcenter. Thats easily fixed by adding a ground and case hardened flat washer between the jam nut and the top knurled knob before tightening the jam nut. The washer spreads out the locking force and allows the expander ball/shaft to center in the bore.
I too, have noticed off center decapping pins and expander balls. Someone suggested I put a decapped case in the press, lower the rod until the pin goes through the flash hole then tighten the lock ring; very tight. That fairly well centers the expander in the die.

Regarding off center expander balls, after measuring neck runout on fired cases then full length sizing them in conventional dies and checking neck runout again, the tighter the expander ball is in the sized down case neck and the more friction there is, the more the necks get bent as the ball goes up and out of them.

That can be minimized by first cleaning out the powder/primer residue in fired case mouths by running them over a spinning bore brush in an electric drill. Do this before cleaning the cases.

Another thing to do is use the next larger size expander ball then polish it down to the same diameter as the original but with a much smoother finish. I've polished down .31 caliber expander balls to diameters of .3075" to .3085" in .0005" steps to get less neck tension on 30 caliber cases. RCBS 30 caliber expander balls have typically been .3070" diameter; to me, that's too small. Case mouths deburred with traditional tools typically make a sharp edge on the inside that can scrape off a lot of bullet jacket unevenly around them and that unbalances them. I use an Easy Out turned clockwise to debure trimmed cases. Radiusing that edge with a bore brush and using larger expander balls helps a lot.

Opening up the neck in full length sizing dies or using bushing dies solves all these bent neck issues.

One can use most any die for a larger case to decap smaller cartridges in their press. Be sure to mount it high enough in the press to clear the case mouth.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

The only comment that I can add...

It was said earlier that this is a "hunting site" and hunting is why I make my decisions.

A full length sized case always chambers easily. Having to wrestle with a tight fitting case while in a hunting situation is an inconvenience that does not have to be dealt with. Especially if a follower is needed.

My .02

Steve
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
A full length sized case always chambers easily. Having to wrestle with a tight fitting case while in a hunting situation is an inconvenience that does not have to be dealt with.

And these few, simple lines right here sum up the entire concept, from start to finish. Doesn't matter how accurate the ammo "might" be, if you can't get it chambered (or extracted) when you have the shot of a lifetime standing right in front of you.

Good on ya' Steve!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Bronze Member

Bit confused here. I reload two calibres, .223 Rem (Norma brass) and .260 Rem (Lapua brass). I use the Redding Competition Neck Bushing and Seating dies and have so far only neck-sized. The Normas have been redone five times to date and the Lapuas six times.

I've read time and again that neck-sizing is ok for range work but in a hunting situation you would need to avoid the risk of neck-sized only cartridges MAYBE sticking and making a follow-up shot difficult.

Thing is, I've never had a single problem with any of my neck-sized reloads, never! Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Is my reloading process flawed?

Want to add that I only partially neck-size - about 3/4 of the neck length. Sub 0.5 MOA all the time out of factory standard Sako Varmints.

Cheers

Last edited by amce; 10-21-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 AM
Bronze Member

I've got a 22/250 factory 700VS that has about 2000 rounds through it..I've partially sized the neck, about half way and seat the bullet at that point it shoots sub half inch groups all day long even with that many rounds through it. Amazing how much slop there is in factory cut chambers..you can actually see the bulge where the die stopped sizing..looks funny but shoots like crazy..
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post

It was said earlier that this is a "hunting site" and hunting is why I make my decisions.

A full length sized case always chambers easily. Having to wrestle with a tight fitting case while in a hunting situation is an inconvenience that does not have to be dealt with. Especially if a follower is needed.

My .02

Steve
You are 100% right "this is hunting site" and we load based on that.