Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which Neck Sizer to use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Neck Sizer to use

Thanks for all the input guys! What I have done is buy a full length 375 Ruger die to first push the shoulder back about .070", then use a 338 RCM die to neck down the first step. The third step would be either use my 30/375 S.I. die to create the 40 degree shoulder or maybe better yet, just fire form at this point since I have to blow the taper out a little anyway.I can use my bullet swaging press for any and all steps, so horsepower is not an issue......Rich
Old 12-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Why not buy one Redding neck bushing die and 3 bushings to do it in steps? This is how I do the 7mm - 300 win and it works golden with little runout induced.

Jeff
you might well ruin the die forming the necks, and they don't do angles anyway. He's bumping a large diameter shoulder down .08" as well as shrinking the neck diameter. Going from a .338" diameter to .313" diameter is easy, but going from .404" to .338" will destroy any die. Doing it in stages is the right way, but there are also large gaps in bushing sizes with no way to correct the shoulder angles. Most large diameter cases are already taxing the die body to the max with a full length resize.
gary
Old 12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Thanks for all the input guys! What I have done is buy a full length 375 Ruger die to first push the shoulder back about .070", then use a 338 RCM die to neck down the first step. The third step would be either use my 30/375 S.I. die to create the 40 degree shoulder or maybe better yet, just fire form at this point since I have to blow the taper out a little anyway.I can use my bullet swaging press for any and all steps, so horsepower is not an issue......Rich
Let us know how this works when you receive the dies and brass and start forming cases? I'm interested in knowing how much force is required to set the shoulder back and whether this becomes a big deal or not.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Let us know how this works when you receive the dies and brass and start forming cases? I'm interested in knowing how much force is required to set the shoulder back and whether this becomes a big deal or not.
Will do! I wonder what the best lube would be for this process? I'm thinking about trying some of my bullet swaging lube for copper jackets...............Rich
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Dunno what would be the very best. The best product I've used for case sizing is Imperial Case Wax. I could be surprised, but I don't expect this process of setting the shoulder back to be all that difficult.

And taking the necks down will be very simple provided no individual step-down process is too large. If the case neck shoulder collapses, you'll know it's time to add an extra step to the necking down process. Any pistol resizing die that you have on hand might make the neck resizing process more gentle. A 38 Special or 357 Magnum case resizing die might be an option for the first case neck reduction step. That would only be 0.018" step down in the first process. That's a very common die. If you don't own one, perhaps a friend does? Less is always best. I'd try that and see if works well.

Then move on to the 338 RCM die for another 0.019" reduction. That would turn the one-step process into a milder two-step process from .375 to .338. When I have to neck down wildcats from parent cartridges, I use anything I already have available (meaning no additional cost) to size down in smaller steps.

Another means for a two-step process between .338 and .308 could be a 325 WSM (.323") full length resizing die, if you have no-cost access to one. I do believe you'll be able to go from .375 to .338 and from .338 to .308 with just one-step each, and wouldn't spend money to break those down into two-step reductions. But if you have a no cost option to size down through a four-step process, like .375 to .357 to .338 to .323 to .308, then that's what I always try to do.

I have a relative that owns a gun shop and I have been known to borrow used reloading dies (pistol or rifle) from whatever is available there in the shop to progressively size down case necks. Which of course is helpful. But sometimes I borrow various dies from a friend, since they're only for one-time use.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Necking down from .308 to .257

This is what I experienced when I attempted to neck down from 300 RUM to 257 RUM in a single step. I needed a 7mm WSM or 7mm RUM full length die but must not have had one on hand. So I got impatient and tested my luck going straight down to 257. The shoulder on this casing was screaming out in pain just before collapsing!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Necking down from .308 to .257

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
This is what I experienced when I attempted to neck down from 300 RUM to 257 RUM in a single step. I needed a 7mm WSM or 7mm RUM full length die but must not have had one on hand. So I got impatient and tested my luck going straight down to 257. The shoulder on this casing was screaming out in pain just before collapsing!

Ya, I've done that kind of thing as well. We should know by midweek how this process really works. I'll have to take the 375 die in to my buddies and cut it down in his shop. I think I'll cut off a little more than what I need and then use the collar to adjust back to PERFECT......Rich