Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck sizeing die.How to use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Neck sizeing die.How to use.

I have a 300 Rum. I want to use a Lee collet neck sizeing die. Which one will work for me?
Also How in the world do you fire form new brass? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Larry -do you have the dies ?

If so just place your brass in your shellholder w/ the die screwed in place and slowly bring the case up into the die body.

Light pressure is all it takes once you have the die set right.

Adjust the die by screwing it down until you can see that the entire neck of the piece of brass has slight/small marks where the die made friction marks on the case neck.
She's ready for a bullet........

Fireforming brass is simply shooting it in "your" chamber and it will "flow" expand- and fit perfectly in the chamber.

Good luck ............
Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM

I do not have the Lee collet neck sizeing die as yet. Whigh one do I buy? 300 Rum is not listed. Also I did fire my brass so it is now once fired. I just was not sure as to how much to load it for. I'm shooting 180 Grain Nosler Partitions, 94 grains H1000 powder and fed 215 primers. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40. With mildot. I am just starting to shoot long and
Realy like it.
Larry G B
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Larry,
I do not use the Lee Collett Neck Dies, but that doesn't matter. Lee usually puts "set-up" instructions in with their dies.
I usually buy Full Length Dies for all my rifles. When I decide to only neck size using these FL dies this is how I do it. I know from experience that in order to FL size my cases, I run the die down until it meets the shell holder (with the press ram in the up position and the press handle all the way down) and then about another 1/2 turn down until I feel that "camming" over effect. So in order to only neck size you have to run the die back up.
First I lube my case up, both the inside of the neck and the body. I wipe any lube off the shoulder so as not to get dimples there. Then I take a Bic lighter and smoke the case from the bottom of the shoulder up to the top of the neck.
Then I start running the case up into the die. I usually start out with the die too far out and have to run it down to the case to start the process. I usually try for about 3/4 of the neck resized. You can see your progress as the die will clean the smute off the case neck and shoulder (if you go to far) as it goes in and gets resized. I turn the die down until I get it where I want it and then lock it in place. I clean the case off and try it in my rifle to make sure it chambers acceptably. Hope this makes sense and helps you out. JohnnyK.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 AM

Neck sizeing

Thanks so much I will give that a try. I have had trouble getting the bullets to seat concentric. Some have been as much as .005 out of round. I use a competition bullet seating die. I'm sure my trouble is in the sizeing, not the seating. Thanks for your help.
Larry G B
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

You can get a set custom made by Lee. Here is a quote from their site. Not a bad price in my opinion.

Collet Die Set
A Custom Collet Die Set consists of the Collet sizer and the Dead Length Bullet Seater, a shell holder and dipper. Maximum outer diameter at the base is .555 and the maximum bullet diameter is .375. There are a few exceptions for the larger Ultra Mags and if interested in those, you may want to give us a call or send a case to determine whether or not we can make them.
We need:
  1. Payment of $54.00 ($50.00 + $4.00 processing fee)
  2. 2 fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for
  3. 2 sample bullets
Lead time on Collet dies is approximately 90 days depending upon our work load.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Thank you Sir for the information. Every thing I get will be of help. Thanks again.
Larry G B