Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

To neck size or full length size???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To neck size or full length size???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Meatyrem clearly stated he's loading for a big game hunting rifle. Neither his accuracy, need to case trim or his case life is likely to improve any useful amount due to neck sizing, if any at all. Even if it did, the real differences would be tiny and trivial at best.
I'm missing where he stated anything about 'big game hunting', or use of any particular cartridge. It may also be that FL sizing would provide little benefit for him.
I think he COULD follow his notion to try NS/bumping -before conceding to FL sizing. It could be easier, and/or better for him, or a waste of a little time.

I never FL size anything myself, and this has not caused issues for me. But then my cartridges are well designed and my max pressure is based on measured case growth at the webs(managed).
I rarely have to trim beyond initial preps, and my loaded runout is very low. So is my ES typically, as I partial NS one cal length as a standard with one thou sprungback for tension on every cartridge.

Personally, I see FL sizing as merely another shortcut weakly rationalized.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

Here's a quote from David Tubb @ 6mmbr.

"I use moly-coated bullets exclusively, so the loads listed need to be reduced 1-1/2 grains if an uncoated bullet is substituted. All of my long range loads are seated long and are pushed back into the case upon the closing of the T2K bolt. Likewise, all of my long range loads are full-length resized each and every time (approximately .003 inches shoulder set back). I use the Superior Shooting Systems Custom 6XC die set (see below). I used the .268 bushing in the sizing die with the expander plug (for long range only; I use a smaller bushing for across the course rounds)."

If neck sizing only is always more accurate don't you think he and all the guys like him would be neck sizing also?
I full length resize all my brass but only set the shoulder back enough so that they chamber good, and I don't have to trim all that often.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

"I'm missing where he stated anything about 'big game hunting' , or use of any particular cartridge."

You are correct, I read more into his post than was written. He only said hunting and I presumed "big" but he may mean "little" game hunting like varminting. Not likely, but...maybe. I didn't reference any particular cartridge either but I bet he's not using a .222 for his hunting, what do you bet?

Regardless, the supposed "advantages" of neck sizing for common hunting ammo is virtually zilch. And that's true for quite a bit of target shooting ammo as well, but we have to get passed popular "common knowledge" to appreciate that.

Last edited by boomtube; 02-09-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Full length size with properly set up dies. Don't look back.

Steve
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

All I can suggest is that 'popular' common knowledge, is quieter than 'unpopular' common knowledge.. Just a review and comparison of the constant sizing issues posed at this forum should lead you to my perspective.
FL sizing -without a custom fit die, is a pooch poke for many reloaders. But you don't here alot of issues from those who manage their sizing to just that needed. And given the shear number of bushing neck dies available today, I'm thinking the numbers for NS only are substantial.
Yet, they are oh so quiet and apparently handling the rocket science of sizing without issues..

Also,
While I like D.Tubb(read his books, own a T2K), I can tell you from direct experience that his 6XC brass, and especially his 6XC sizing die -SUCK COMPLETELY...
I will not delude myself, or conceal this.
There is no need to bypass reason, or to assume anything, based soely on competitor habits.
This will just bog you down.
Better to think independently, and keep moving ever toward better.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyrem View Post
Just wondering the big difference between the two.
Any thoughts or experience on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks
The big difference between the two is if you do Full Length size your ammo is good to go in any rifle where as neck sizing is best left to the chamber it was originally fired in. I've seen more variations of using a FLS die than you can count on one hand. You can neck size with your FL die - try it and see if you show any difference on paper. It's been mentioned that they FLS and "Ownly bump the shoulder back .003". I guess I fully agree with this but I also think that it is not truly FL resizing.
Just out of curiosity - what caliber/calibers are you referring to. I have a different opinion on my Ackley calibers for reloading versus a standard cartridge versus a magnum belted cartridge. All are used for hunting but I keep accuracy on the top of my wish list.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Gold Member

Hey guys, I appreciate all the input you are giving.

To try and clear some issues up here:
22-250 varmint rifle.
Two 280Rems for biggame
7rum for bigger game
Two 300Rums for even bigger game

All of which are bolt guns. All are remmys.

Sounds like the majority of you out there are fls. And only a few are ns. Just looking at weighing my options. I was looking at ns for case life and top accuracy, from what I have read, anyway. And it does seem logical to me that only the neck be sized anfter initial forming. But; it sounds like fls may be in order to skip a chambering issue for reliable chambering. And at the same time I also could use the fls to just bump the shoulder back. I still am not sure at this piont.