Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

To neck size or full length size???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

To neck size or full length size???

Just wondering the big difference between the two. I know the FLS sizes the whole case and the neck sizer sizes the neck only. For using ammo for hunting and in the same rifle that it was fired in, would neck sizing fit the bill or would the full length sizer? I'm reading that for hunting you want to FLS for ease of use and not to neck size, but what I'm hearing folks do is neck size for better accuracy and more case life and if that ammo is going to be loaded in that very same rifle. I'm thinking that I am wanting to neck size.

Any thoughts or experience on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: To neck size or full length size???

This is a good read on the subject!! The Rifleman's Journal: Basics: Resizing - Case Dimension Changes

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

You can partial NS, with an occasional shoulder bump, provided your pressures are reasonable(below SAAMI max).
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

"I'm thinking that I am wanting to neck size."

I'm thinking you don't. Much of what you read, 'specially on the web, is half baked nonsense and the perceived worth of neck sizing is near the top of the BS list.

Sounds like you are a hunter, probably shooting an "off the shelf" factory rifle? If so, NS will do nothing automatic for your accuracy OR case life, but it can cause chanbering problems; fergit it.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"I'm thinking that I am wanting to neck size."

I'm thinking you don't. Much of what you read, 'specially on the web, is half baked nonsense and the perceived worth of neck sizing is near the top of the BS list.

Sounds like you are a hunter, probably shooting an "off the shelf" factory rifle? If so, NS will do nothing automatic for your accuracy OR case life, but it can cause chanbering problems; fergit it.
This is a good example of "BS", I neck size for most of my rifles, (Not all, such as those loaded for rapid fire or mass produced on dillon press)bench/varmint/deer/elk/bear, etc. and don't have any problems with chambering. The increase in accuracy and not having to trim as much are 2 of the benefits I like.
Some of the people who don't like it have had problems doing it right, and therefore, "it don't work" attitude.
I would suggest you try to find a shooter who does it, hopefully in your cal. and load some of your own ammo and test it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

"This is a good example of "BS", I neck size for most of my rifles,"

Meatyrem clearly stated he's loading for a big game hunting rifle. Neither his accuracy, need to case trim or his case life is likely to improve any useful amount due to neck sizing, if any at all. Even if it did, the real differences would be tiny and trivial at best. That's likely to be true for you as well.

What you do or what I do is no "proof" of the typical value of anything. Our needs and our rifles are probably unlike what Meatyrem uses and I was addressing HIS needs, not yours. What you or I may do is NOT by that fact what he needs to do and suggesting he does is half-educated web "instant expert" BS.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"This is a good example of "BS", I neck size for most of my rifles,"

Meatyrem clearly stated he's loading for a big game hunting rifle. Neither his accuracy, need to case trim or his case life is likely to improve any useful amount due to neck sizing, if any at all. Even if it did, the real differences would be tiny and trivial at best. That's likely to be true for you as well.

What you do or what I do is no "proof" of the typical value of anything. Our needs and our rifles are probably unlike what Meatyrem uses and I was addressing HIS needs, not yours. What you or I may do is NOT by that fact what he needs to do and suggesting he does is half-educated web "instant expert" BS.
I DID find accuracy to improve, a little, and trimming is time consuming and chambering is not a problem, but why reload at all if you don't want more ?
and, if you read his post, he addressed those very concerns.