Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

neck size or full length size?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

neck size or full length size?????

As the title reads I was wandering if you guys neck size or full length size. I have a Rem 300 RUM with a custom barrel I use Federal 215 M primers Nosler custom brass retumbo powder topped with a 210G Berger. If I can get a tad bit more accuracey out of it by neck sizing only I will do it what's your experience and or advice? All is welcome. I'm interested in shooting bug holes as far as the eye can see

Bigbuck
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: neck size or full length size?????

My view on sizing has changed in the last year or so. I used to lean to neck sizing only and then partial FL size when the brass got too swollen to chamber. The advantage to that is less work stress on the brass. The disadvantage is you end up with a different shaped case after your occasional FL sizing. Maybe just slightly different, but none the less different. With my 300 RUM, I found the cases to swell quickly, and it seemed partial FL sizing only lasted one firing anyway, so I body size and neck size for each loading. I am now of the opinion that FL sizing or neck and body sizng should be done for each loading for consistancy. In the future, I wll probably use FL dies instead of neck and body dies unless I see an advantage to using the the neck and body die separately.

I like bushing sizing becuase it is a lot less stress on the necks and I can determin the neck tension. Bushing dies can also be used for wildcatting or sizing different cals in the same case desings such as WSM's, -06 variations, RUMs, etc., There are some that say neck turning isn't necessary for bushing sizing if you get good brass and/or cull your brass. I prefer to turn my necks, once again, for consistancy

Mark
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

I also like to Partial Full Length Resize. The preferred method is to body size with a Redding Body Die and then neck size with a Lee Collet neck sizer. Gives very good results and low runout.

Having the 2 dies allows you to just neck size until your brass has fully expanded (usually by the 3rd or 4th reloading) with the Lee Collet. Then when you start getting a crush fit in the chamber, you can push the shoulder back just a minimal amount of .001" or so to relieve the crush fit.

There are several ways to get to the same goal but the answer to your question is 1/2 way in between, not neck size and not full length size - partial full length resize.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

I full length size enough to just bump my shoulder back .001- .002 on ALL of my cartridges. My customs shoot 'bug holes' at 200, my factory's shoot very well too. Good brass is a must. I'm a firm believer in annealing too especially in my big 30 cal after 3-4 firings.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
My view on sizing has changed in the last year or so. I used to lean to neck sizing only and then partial FL size when the brass got too swollen to chamber. The advantage to that is less work stress on the brass. The disadvantage is you end up with a different shaped case after your occasional FL sizing. Maybe just slightly different, but none the less different. With my 300 RUM, I found the cases to swell quickly, and it seemed partial FL sizing only lasted one firing anyway, so I body size and neck size for each loading. I am now of the opinion that FL sizing or neck and body sizng should be done for each loading for consistancy. In the future, I wll probably use FL dies instead of neck and body dies unless I see an advantage to using the the neck and body die separately.

I like bushing sizing becuase it is a lot less stress on the necks and I can determin the neck tension. Bushing dies can also be used for wildcatting or sizing different cals in the same case desings such as WSM's, -06 variations, RUMs, etc., There are some that say neck turning isn't necessary for bushing sizing if you get good brass and/or cull your brass. I prefer to turn my necks, once again, for consistancy

Mark

Mark,
All I use as of now is just a standard RCBS die set.
I do have a hornady neck sizer only die that's actually for a 300 winchester mag. Hornady said I can use it on my 300rum I've tried it and it works it's at the top of the adj. though. I was told by tim north to full length size but I feel like I'm working my brass to much . When you neck size only does it not line up the bullet with the center of the bore better if so? would you think that this would be some what better for accuracey? Thanks

Freebore ,

When you say that you full length size just enough to bump the shoulder back how much of the case can you see when your at full compression with your press?

Woods,
Can you explain a little more about the partial full lenght resize process that you do ?

Thanks everyone for the different loading techniques ,this kind of has me feeling like I don't even know how to reload oh well that's why we ask questions to learn all we can.....

Bigbuck
Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

"more accuracey out of it by neck sizing only I will do it what's your experience and or advice?"

We all want bug holes as far as a 24x scope can see.

No one can tell you what the result of neck vs. FL sizing will be. My experience and advice says to try it. Then you WILL know.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

For me it depends on how the chamber was cut. For example, my 338 EDGE is very tight. The cases only expand .002" at the shoulder and .001 at the head. For this I will FL size every time. When FL sizing, I prefer a body die and then a neck/bushing die as I DO NOT like expander balls. With this method, at least with this chamber, I get very long life out of the brass because I am not moving much brass during resizing. Now I used to wear out the cases early in the beggining because I was setting the shoulder back just a tad too far. Now I am down to .0005" and so far so good. When it comes to my 308 chamber, it is just the right demension for neck sizing only. It expands just enough but not too much. After fire forming and refiring, there are not stressed enough to continue to grow. The spring back to shape. I have had 6 firings on the same cases without them chambering tight. On the flip side, I have had chambers a bit more sloppy and the only way to keep the brass from getting tighter with every firing was to FL size them every time. What I had done with those cases was neck turned them and got rid of the expander ball in the FL die. I turned the necks just enough to achieve .002 neck tension without using needing an expander ball. I have found that to be the best way to minimize run out. It just depends on the chamber for me.

M

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 12-16-2009 at 12:04 PM.