Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck Bushing and Body Dies or FL Bushing Die???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Neck Bushing and Body Dies or FL Bushing Die???

MR .........

Custom benchrest dies are very expensive, and you'll get pretty near the same result by using a bushing type FL die (controlling neck tension) and using an accurate method of measuring your chamber clearance (at the shoulder).

Unless you're shooting a $5,000. benchrest rifle in formal competition, setting the height of your FL die "accurately" is usually the best way to go.

- Innovative
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
Here's how I set mine up.

1. Use the Stoney Point Head and Shoulders headspace guage, measure headspace of several fired cases.

2. Set the Redding Type S full length bushing die to partially size cases and set shoulder back 0.001".

3. Test sized cases in chamber to make sure they have been sized enough so there is just a small amount of resistance when bolt is closed. 0.001" may not be enough if running high pressures and blowing the brass out or if brass is really hard and springy. Adjust accordingly making sure sized cases fit in chamber with just a small amount of resistance being felt when bolt is closed.

4. The partially sized neck "doughnut" is a completely independent setting on the type S bushing dies. I screw the neck bushing stop down until it bottoms out on the bushing and then back it off something like 1/2 turn. Size a case and inspect how much of the neck has been sized. Then adjust up or down until about 3/4 of the neck is bring sized. I don't think this dimension needs to be precisely controlled, just leave enough doughnut to center round in chamber neck area. On factory chambers this can be a fairly large diameter doughnut compared to the sized part of the neck.

I have the body die / neck die set for a couple of cartridges and the full length die set for some. If you set the full length die up as described above and only partially full length size each time you will minimize how much you work the brass and still maintain a consistent headspace. The extra step required for the body seems like a waste of time to me now ...

I have to agree with Michael about chambers that are cut a bit large, but if you set the full length die up as described above and only bump the shoulder back enough to obtain optimum headspace and then leave a small doughnut on the neck, the case will be held in the center of the chamber as close as possible thereby providing good alignment when the bullet is released.

My thoughts and rationale on the subject anyway ...
Thanks dwm. This is basically what I thought. Unless someone else has a good reason to go with the tow dies vs one, I'll go with the FL bushing this next time around.

Anyone want to buy a 300 RUM Redding bushing neck die and body die?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrywillis View Post
MR .........

Custom benchrest dies are very expensive, and you'll get pretty near the same result by using a bushing type FL die (controlling neck tension) and using an accurate method of measuring your chamber clearance (at the shoulder).

Unless you're shooting a $5,000. benchrest rifle in formal competition, setting the height of your FL die "accurately" is usually the best way to go.

- Innovative
Good points Larry. Would love to get one of those head space gauges.

-MR
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Bronze Member

I would totally recomend larrys digital headspace guage i bought one and their very easy to use and very accurate, worth every cent.