Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

N-165

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: N-165

Dakor,
Just returned from the range.Tried the H=1000 again.Shot 2,three shot groups.The first was a .463",so tried another and it was a .332".Time to go home.I think I've found a good combo.168TSX,H-1000 @ 3200fps.Jimmy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

Jimmy sounds like you have a winner. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am glad things worked out for you with the H-1000. Most 300 win mags seem to like that powder. Don't be afraid to try Retumbo if you decide to shoot 190 or 200 grain bullets one day I think it will surprise you.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Gold Member

Are you using an extended drop tube to help pack your case tight? A good long drop tube like the Forester really helps. Also, try swirling the powder in the funnel rather than just dumping the whole batch in the middle. Technique can really help with compressed loads like you are describing.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Wapiti 13,
Glade you posted your question,for I was preparing for this post.Here is my method:
First,I throw the powder from my measure into the scale pan,then weigh the charge and trickle if necessary.Second,I use the Forster funnel and drop tube (with the swirling)to drop the powder into the case.Third,I tap the case against my bench to further settle the charge.It is a lot of trouble and was going to ask if anyone had a better method.I read a few years ago that dropping the powder directly from the measure gave more consistancy to the load.Having loaded the above with my method,my SD averaged about 13 fps.They say a good SD should be under 10fps.I really don't know what is the correct aspect to be concerned with:Sd or very small consistant groups.I'll take the latter.I throw from the measure for my 6PPC and N-133 with ES less than 10fps.,but the 133 is very small and meters well.Any advice on inproving my loading technique would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Jimmy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]