Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

My take on the ladder test and ocw.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: My take on the ladder test and ocw.

Here it is after changing seating depth and I know this group won't set the world on fire but is getting there
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Let me guess, from the little I understand of the OCW you chose 28.1 ??
Old 02-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

damn thats some good shooting. i didn't see 28.1g on the first target, only 28 and 28.2, so you went in the middle of that?? I think I like the OCW testing, i really need to concentrate and read through it thoroughly. 4ked horn, i know your not naggin at me by any means. i've just been on the comp lately getting all the last bit of info i can gather and what not before i go in the army. i'll miss thisi forum for a while, so im posting as much stuff to gather information, and posting my own stuff for others to gather for information. im still having tons of fun checking this site more then 1 time a day, its a little addicting.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Cool. Glad you know I'm not picking on ya.

He hasn't said yet what the load was that he picked. I just guessed it was 28.1 because 28 and 28.2 shot in the same place on the target.

When you get through basic if you can get your mits on a computer be sure to drop in and say howdy.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

I will for sure 4key. I love this forum and i love to shoot longer ranges. This is the one thing that is tearing me up most inside. I am going to miss it for a couple years thats for sure. But the good thing is, at least I'll have some money to get some of my rifles with some nice barrels. I've never had a custom barrel, never had the money. I've got big plans for my 300 rum, and I want to turn my 220 swift into a 6br now. As far as my 25-06, it shoots so damn good as it is with the winchester barrel, im afraid to mess with it!! But eventually, id like a 25-06 AI screwed onto that receiver. The first is my 300 RUM though. The barrel is bout toast, and I need a good LR rig. I want a 28" fluted lilja w/brake, i want an A-5 stock with a jewell trigger. This is the first thing I'm doing with my couple checks. I'm sending the money to my dad, and hes going to send my rifle to Kirby. I hope I have access to a computer somewhere, I think i'll go nuts w/out one. HA ha ha.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Good shooting.

As most know I am strong proponent of the ladder for extreme accuracy. With that I am talking match grade barrels normally.

Couple points that I think this thread makes clear that have been missed in all the debate.

1. You and your gun have to be capable of under .5 MOA to really use the ladder and in many respects you must repeat the OCW even. If you gun is not consistent, then is it out of the node, is it the scatter group or just inaccuracy of the gun?

2. The ladder I have found has to be shot at 300-400 to really be effective.

3. An accurate chrono is absolutely essential. Any technique (ladder or OCW) w/o a chrono you can easily miss the MV jumps and nodes. (that truly is my biggest issue with OCW) That chrono information will help you confirm any suspected tuning node. Dan and I both agree that if you get on one edge of a node, it is easy to come out of tune with temp changes. The chrono will literally show the up and down edges normally. I always start my powder fine tuning in the middle of the node and rarley deviate more than .1 gr up or down, and then go with seating depth and finally neck tension. Maybe change of primers last IF I think it warrants it.

4. If your gun is accurate and you have good bench techniques, I have found that groups at 100 are a waste of time normally. Just one big bughole, some slightly larger and some slightly smaller, but not enought to really make any accurate assessment. So the challenge is really seeing where the node is, therefore going out to distances where you can see POI shifts in a no wind condition (early morning/late evening).

BH
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Hey guy's just got in from work I picked 28 grains and so did Mr. Newberry, I used a chrony for the ladder test but I really don't understand how it helps and I chronographed the 28 grain load after I was done. When you reach a velocity jump is the a good thing or bad. I'm not putting the ladder test down, Like I said at first I thought it was better for me then the ocw test. I think they are both great ways of finding a load I'm used to loading some rounds up and just checking for the best group, but for me the ocw just worked better.