Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is my inaccuracy in my loads or my shooting technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Is my inaccuracy in my loads or my shooting technique?

I have just recently started reloading and am trying to develop some loads for a couple of different .308 rifles and I am not getting very good results but since I have also just started shooting from the prone position off of a Harris Bipod I'm not 100% sure that the inaccuracy is in my loads or whether the recoil is having a big affect on my shooting from the prone position.

The rifle I'm mainly concerned with getting more accuracy from is a Rem 700 Tactical Compact (XCR) 20". I have shot some really tight groups with it when I first got it using some Federal 168gr match rounds but was shooting off of a bench with the rifle seated down in a sack of corn. I don't recall the MOA of the groups but they were tight and I was very pleased with it. Now that I'm trying to develop a load for this rifle and now shooting off of a Bipod I've tried 3 different bullets, different charges and different seating depths and am getting between 1.6 and 2.0 MOA which is no where near what I have done with this rifle previously.

Now on the other hand I've loaded several different combinations for my 22-250 and also shooting from the prone position and I always stay around the 0.48 to 0.51 MOA with that.

I know I should go buy some more Federal Match bullets and try them from the prone position or either try my reloads from a bench and corn sack but at the moment that's not feasible so I'm just asking for thoughts from you guys that have done more prone position shooting and more reloading of .308's than myself.

Just another thought to add in, my spread is mostly all vertical yet the last batch of loads I shot only had a velocity spread of 9 fps per my chrono.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is my inaccuracy in my loads or my shooting technique?

Barrel may be jumping some. With in rifle "down in a sack of corn" you might have been masking a little bit of jump with the rifle. Most seem to jump left a little from the bullet torque. Also might have had the rifle balanced on the corn sack differently from how it is balanced on the bipod.

Might try keeping shoulder pressure constant on the rifle when firing, if the rifle is back heavy due to short barrel and placement of the bipod, you can get vertical, if shoulder pressure is not constant.

Is the rifle jumping at all with the bipod? If the bipod is leaving the ground, that is not good. Try holding the rifle in a more conventional manner with the left hand holding the rifle stock just front of where the recoil lug is.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

What load are you using? I recently tried to work up a load with Varget and 155 gr Lapua Scenars. I was lucky to get 1 1/4" groups. I switched to 175 gr SMK's and when I was on, my groups where 3/8" or better. Your handloads should at least match the performance of the 168 gr SMK's.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Go here: Bugholes from Bipod

and here:

The importance of being Solid

Then let us know how it's going.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Verticle to me says you are not lining up behind the scope consistently due to the prone position. My guess is you have to lift your chin up from the cheek rest to get proper alignment. ??
Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Man, that is an impressive hole there. Just a little different technique than I am used to reading about.

I think one of my downfalls is inconsistent cheek weld. The more I read, people really tend to lay into their cheek weld heavier than I do. I need to put a DE cheekpiece on my stock, and really get a good cheek weld. Seems like when I get a good cheek weld or much hand pressure, my groups start scattering now. Man I have a lot to learn!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

"Is my inaccuracy in my loads or my shooting technique?"

Probably. ??