Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

My accuracy jump with simple primer change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

My accuracy jump with simple primer change

I decided to buy some BR-2's today and see if I could get my gun shooting more accurately. I was surprised to find quite a good jump in accuracy. I cant wait to try it at 1,000 yards. The left is the br-2 the right is 9 1/2m remingtons. 0.073 vs 0.233 minus the cold bore shot. it's a 300 wsm with 210 bergers with h4831sc at 100 yards .

Last edited by diderr; 09-06-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: My accuracy jump with simple primer change

Quote:
Originally Posted by diderr View Post
I decided to buy some BR-2's today and see if I could get my gun shooting more accurately. I was surprised to find quite a good jump in accuracy. I cant wait to try it at 1,000 yards. The left is the br-2 the right is 9 1/2m remingtons. 0.073 vs 0.0233 minus the cold bore shot. it's a 300 wsm with 210 bergers with h4831sc at 100 yards .
Please tell me about what you learned about the "cold bore shot'.
That is the one I am after. Did you see changes there also, and what kind of cleaning process do you use.
Good shooting!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
Please tell me about what you learned about the "cold bore shot'.
That is the one I am after. Did you see changes there also, and what kind of cleaning process do you use.
Good shooting!
Well my second group didn't have a fouling shot because it was shot from a warm and dirty gun. The first group (r.) was shot from a cold, semi-clean gun that hasn't been shot in a few months. It could have been more of a "cold shooter" vs a "cold bore"
I just clean my gun like any normal American. Hoppes, dry patches, and run a patch of Rem oil down it. I only clean the barrel every 80-100 rounds or so.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Gold Member

Thanks, it may help me with my attempt to get my 225gr MRX hand loads to do some what better when I go back to them next year. I was cleaning after every shot like a Blackwater dude showed me he did to his 308. My 338WM likes dirty and only 185gr GMX is available in factory ammo. Got all the parts now to dupe that round also and might try those BR-2s as the primer instead of my GM 215Ms that are the only ones I have tried. Thanks again, next year I'll try the clean cold trick with those BR-2s on the 225MRX and 185GMXs. Pls send me a message if you learn more on that part that I am interested in-clean cold - one shot - one kill!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

The left hand target is likely a screamer group, and will be rather hard to re-shoot repeatedly. I've seen rifle pop .2" or less one day with a load, the next day they are at .3" to .5" with said load, if not worse. I'n not sayin' it's not good, it damn well is, but you've got to dump a few groups to get an average before you know the new primer is better.
Almost every rifle I've got has put down at least a few screamer groups. The only one I could consistantly get cloverleafs with was my sendero 7stw. The new lh one shows promise, but it's still hovering at .5 moa.

t-3 have you worked with rl 19 in your 338? My 338 loves it. Both 225's and 250's.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
Thanks, it may help me with my attempt to get my 225gr MRX hand loads to do some what better when I go back to them next year. I was cleaning after every shot like a Blackwater dude showed me he did to his 308. My 338WM likes dirty and only 185gr GMX is available in factory ammo. Got all the parts now to dupe that round also and might try those BR-2s as the primer instead of my GM 215Ms that are the only ones I have tried. Thanks again, next year I'll try the clean cold trick with those BR-2s on the 225MRX and 185GMXs. Pls send me a message if you learn more on that part that I am interested in-clean cold - one shot - one kill!
What powder do you use? What I've read is the br-2's work better with slower powder. I use 65 grns of H4831sc and it ignites really well. It's not as much flame as a 9 1/2 m or a 215 of course , but as long as it lights well.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

I have found similiar changes in accuracy when changing primers but have not been able to establish any hard guidelines between brands except for CCI and Federal magnum primers generally produce better results with accuracy, and ES with large case capacity cartridges using slow burning powders. I find myself changing primers when I'm trying to tighten my ES more than improving accuracy and have had positive results.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt