Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Moving Shoulders on a Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Moving Shoulders on a Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by statjunk View Post
RR,

I think you miss read the question. This is about sizing. This is about when I'm sizing and I've pushed the shoulder beyond where it should be I can't seem to move it again.

Can you take a second to re-read the post?

I've come across this because I'm no longer neck sizing. I'm bumping the shoulders back .002.

Thanks

Tom
Reading your original post, which is a bit confusing, I think what you are saying is that you bumped the shoulders back 0,007" on a piece of brass. More than you wanted. So you readjusted the die to bump them back less, put the same brass in the die and it was still too short, but brass you hadn't sized before adjusting comes out where you want it to. If I'm understanding this correctly, you made the original post because you find this confusing.

So I'll explain. You can only make shoulders shorter with a full length sizing die. You can't make the shoulders longer by not pushing it in the die as far, which is what you are apparently trying to do.

If you push the shoulder back .007", adjusting the die up 0.005" and putting it back in the sizing die again won't make the shoulder longer on the brass that was too short but it will properly size brass that wasn't too short.

Bottom line, shoulder bumping in the die is a one way process. If you push them back too much in the die you need to fire them to get them back to chamber length.

Fitch
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

removed because Fitch answered it.

Tom

Last edited by statjunk; 06-28-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Reading your original post, which is a bit confusing, I think what you are saying is that you bumped the shoulders back 0,007" on a piece of brass. More than you wanted. So you readjusted the die to bump them back less, put the same brass in the die and it was still too short, but brass you hadn't sized before adjusting comes out where you want it to. If I'm understanding this correctly, you made the original post because you find this confusing.

So I'll explain. You can only make shoulders shorter with a full length sizing die. You can't make the shoulders longer by not pushing it in the die as far, which is what you are apparently trying to do.

If you push the shoulder back .007", adjusting the die up 0.005" and putting it back in the sizing die again won't make the shoulder longer on the brass that was too short but it will properly size brass that wasn't too short.

Bottom line, shoulder bumping in the die is a one way process. If you push them back too much in the die you need to fire them to get them back to chamber length.

Fitch
Fitch,

This is exactly my question. So it is a one way process. I thought the expander ball would pull the shoulder back. Guess not.

This is kind of disappointing in a way because it can become an awful mess to deal with the different number of fired brass. Not to mention I've just lost pieces in my current lot.

Thanks for reading the post.

TT
Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
A full length die is not a shoulder bump die. You need a body die.
BB,

I was told that I could bump with a full length sizer. Is this not true? Can others please chime in on this?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

'I was told that I could bump with a full length sizer. Is this not true? Can others please chime in on this?;

Certainly you can "bump" with an FL die, you bumped the shoulder on the first one back .007". But, you also sized the neck and that isn't what you want from a body die, a bump die that sizes the neck is called a full length sizer die.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Certainly you can "bump" with an FL die, you bumped the shoulder on the first one back .007". But, you also sized the neck and that isn't what you want from a body die, a bump die that sizes the neck is called a full length sizer die.
Boom,

So if I'm using a FL sizing die to bump the shoulder and size the neck is that all that is happening or is it also sizing the case all the way down to the case head?

I want the neck sized and shoulder moved. Is this "all" that I'm accomplishing?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

It sizes the neck, bumps the shoulder back "if you want it to" and sizes the body. That's why it is called a full length sizer die.

I would be curious to know what your reasoning is for opting to bump the shoulder. Is it because your cases are too long "at the shoulder" and you can not close the action if you don't? Or is it because your rifle has "NO" headspace at the bolt face? If the latter is the problem than a gunsmith should have a look at it and correct the issue. Relying on headspace off the shoulder can be a very disappointing situation in many aspects. But if your working with a hunting rifle and are only looking for minute of deer, you should be able to get that.

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.