Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

More reloading issues

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,462
Re: More reloading issues

I heard Hornady was iffy as well....... and never measure with a set of calipers unless you use the nib (cutaway) end.

I realize the inclination to use the fatter part of the jaws but it's inaccurate.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Re: More reloading issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I heard Hornady was iffy as well....... and never measure with a set of calipers unless you use the nib (cutaway) end.

I realize the inclination to use the fatter part of the jaws but it's inaccurate.
Note taken.
__________________
Hunting the promised land
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 420
Re: More reloading issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I realize the inclination to use the fatter part of the jaws but it's inaccurate.
Wrong!
A good caliper will read the same anywhere in the jaws and in fact when they do wear out it is invariably out on the end. You can check for wear by sliding the jaws together and holding them up to the light, if you can see light between the jaws they are either worn or have something between the jaws. What the OP should be using is a micrometer though.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,462
Re: More reloading issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Wrong!
A good caliper will read the same anywhere in the jaws and in fact when they do wear out it is invariably out on the end. You can check for wear by sliding the jaws together and holding them up to the light, if you can see light between the jaws they are either worn or have something between the jaws. What the OP should be using is a micrometer though.

Bob
Why?

Being a toolmaker by trade and business, I disagree with your statement (using the upper jaw for measurement). It's not proper or accepted, but then I wonder how many people really know the proper use of a micrometer......

Jaw calipers were designed primarily to remove the 'human factor' when measuring. No need to develop the proper 'feel' for thimble tension.

I'm curious as to why a micrometer should be used however.... Please elaborate....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 420
Re: More reloading issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Why?

Being a toolmaker by trade and business, I disagree with your statement (using the upper jaw for measurement). It's not proper or accepted, but then I wonder how many people really know the proper use of a micrometer......

Jaw calipers were designed primarily to remove the 'human factor' when measuring. No need to develop the proper 'feel' for thimble tension.

I'm curious as to why a micrometer should be used however.... Please elaborate....
Most professionals can get fairly close with a good caliper but one of the first things they teach in machinist school (or used to anyway) is not to use a caliper for anything less than .005 tolerance. There is too much spring in even a good caliper and the tendency is to "help" it out a little, I watch people that should know better wiggle a caliper every day to "help it seat". If you give a micrometer to 3 different people who know how to use it you will likely get 3 different readings on a standard, a gauge block for instance, but they will be within a tenth (.0001) or 2 of each other. Give the same three people a caliper and the readings could vary by a thousandth or 2. A micrometer is simply more accurate and in a tight chamber .0002 can make a difference, I always use a micrometer to check case head expansion, they are simply more accurate. As for using the upper jaw, grab a gauge pin and try it tomorrow, as a tool maker I'll bet you'll be surprised just how close you can get. Sorry if I came off a little abrasive in the previous post, it was not my intention.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Re: More reloading issues

Ok! back to my nightmare guys. Its all about me, lol.
I decided to sand down the web area to see if this was the problem and it certainly was. The brass now chambers nice and easy, I need more advice here so I can move forward. Theres no way that all my hornady brass is that weak after being shot once is there? Is my chamber messed up? Can the barrel be out of alignment even though it fires factory ammo fine? someone please help.
__________________
Hunting the promised land
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 204
Re: More reloading issues

I would say signs are pointing to the chamber being out of round. My only hesitation would be the aforementioned Hornady brass woes. I know of a guy (on this site actually) that manufactures a semi-auto .338 Lapua and they had issues with Hornady factory loads. If memory serves, they were getting case head separation. For my money that means the brass has the potential to be the issue so trying proven brass and casting the chamber would still be my recommendation before you make a move.

The micrometer got me thinking, if you have or know someone that has an inside mic that's small enough, that would be a good test and may tell you what you need to know. If you set the mic to depth just inside the chamber it should keep constant contact when you rotate it. It would be tough to keep the mic in line with the bore without some sort of fixture and any wobble may give a false reading, so I'd still want to do some more investigation before I declared the chamber messed up, but it might help narrow the variables down.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: More reloading issues
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300 weatherby reloading issues pockets380 Reloading 13 11-02-2011 09:31 AM
TAC 15 Issues jbmm411 PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum 7 12-08-2010 03:13 PM
6mm 95gr. Berger Reloading Issues coues7 Reloading 4 07-09-2010 10:09 PM
having issues foreign Bowhunting 1 01-06-2010 10:32 PM
22-250 issues- help? peppy1hunting Reloading 2 11-28-2008 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC