Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

moly coated bullets or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 PM

moly coated bullets or not?

does anybody have an opinion on advantages or dis-advantages of moly coated bullets?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: moly coated bullets or not?

Never did any bullets myself in moly. I hear and read that cleaning moly from a bore is quite the chore, however. I also hear and read that a lot of experienced shooters ONLY use moly coated bullets because the barrels last so much longer.

My thing is this: if you look at a fired/recovered moly coated bullet, you can see copper jacket showing clearly where the lands press into the jacket, and you can see copper stripes down the center of where the bearing surface contacts the grooves. SOOOO, if the benefits of moly are finished by the time the bullet is an inch or so into the barrel, what good is it? Does it make a difference all the way down the bore? I don't know.

I've considered using ONLY moly bullets in one of my 6.5x284 rifles just to compare it to another that will never see a moly coated bullet.

I'm also curious about Danzac coating and the black lubalox Winchester uses.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Bronze Member

The only testing I've done shows that with a given load the moly is faster through the chronograph. That would equal lower pressure...

I can say, without a doubt, that when you start using moly coated projectiles you should probably 'stick with em'! It's a real PITA to get the barrel completely cleaned out from the residue left behind. Although I have never tried cleaning a barrel via ultrasonics.....

Never put moly on a projectile, have only bought them....

Scott
Old 12-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

I tried moly in my 22-250 and it's a total mess. It just got all over.

I had a different experience than most people have with speeds though. I got slower speeds out of the same charge of powder. I'm not sure why. However, as I raised the charge weight I got higher speeds out of them before I noticed any high-pressure signs.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
I tried moly in my 22-250 and it's a total mess. It just got all over.

I had a different experience than most people have with speeds though. I got slower speeds out of the same charge of powder. I'm not sure why. However, as I raised the charge weight I got higher speeds out of them before I noticed any high-pressure signs.
Isn't that the way it should be? Make the bullet slick with moly, you reduce friction in the bore, thus reduce pressure, thus reduce velocity. You then have to add powder to get pressure and speed back up.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Isn't that the way it should be? Make the bullet slick with moly, you reduce friction in the bore, thus reduce pressure, thus reduce velocity. You then have to add powder to get pressure and speed back up.
That's what I thought too...
My 223AI with the same powder charge(from the same lot/container), primer, and casing, shot almost 155fps faster. And not just for the first couple of shots either....

Scott
Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post

I never thought of that but I bet your right.