close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

Modified case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Modified case

New to the website and poking around. I purchased a Savage LRH in 300 win mag with a 4*16 Vortex Viper PST scope. Now regretting not going with the 7mm, 300 win mag stuff is imposible to find. So here I am looking for a modified case for the 300 win mag to ensure proper loads. If anyone has one I can purchase or borrow (I will pay for shipping back and forth)?
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 08-23-2013, 10:01 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: greenwood, IN
    Posts: 4,027
    Re: Modified case

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carfused View Post
    New to the website and poking around. I purchased a Savage LRH in 300 win mag with a 4*16 Vortex Viper PST scope. Now regretting not going with the 7mm, 300 win mag stuff is imposible to find. So here I am looking for a modified case for the 300 win mag to ensure proper loads. If anyone has one I can purchase or borrow (I will pay for shipping back and forth)?
    I picked up a couple at a gander Mountain close out sale, but traded them away a couple months ago! Make your out modified case. The 5/16-27 tap can be bought, and a .312" reamer will get you by. But a .001" undersized reamer would be far better. These are not hard to find as well.

    Take a once fired case (unsized) and see if the bullet will slide into it freely. If not the .311" reamer will work. The threaded hole is another, but not that hard to take care of. You could single point the thread if you have a lathe and are good at grinding high speed tool bits
    gary
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Posts: 1,045
    Re: Modified case

    5/16x36 is correct tap size, and I use 9/32" drill (.2854 is correct, but 9/32 works well) buy the tap/drill and then you can make cases for all your reloading cals.
    or send me 2 fired cases and I will make them for you.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: greenwood, IN
    Posts: 4,027
    Re: Modified case

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
    5/16x36 is correct tap size, and I use 9/32" drill (.2854 is correct, but 9/32 works well) buy the tap/drill and then you can make cases for all your reloading cals.
    or send me 2 fired cases and I will make them for you.
    when did they change the thread size? I have several stoney points, and every one of them has a 5/16-27 thread. Hornady bought out stoney point years back.
    gary
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Northern Utah
    Posts: 1,133
    Re: Modified case

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
    when did they change the thread size? I have several stoney points, and every one of them has a 5/16-27 thread. Hornady bought out stoney point years back.
    gary
    I have a Hornady tool and it is 5/16-36. My buddy has the Stoney Point and his is a 5/16-36 also. I have no idea how old it is.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: SWWY
    Posts: 920
    Re: Modified case

    Mine is 5/16" 36 as well
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 08-27-2013, 08:30 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Posts: 2
    Re: Modified case

    Thanks for the help. I will be making my modified case this weekend
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC