Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Mixing powder??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Mixing powder??

First of all I am NOT talking about mixing different powders........ just powders of the same type.

I have always tried to keep several pounds of the powders I typically use on hand and with the run on ammo and loading supplies a couple of years ago I really increased my stock.

In some powder types I have several 5 or 8 lb jugs as well as a number of 1 lb. I like having the stock and have started just re-ordering as I use so as to keep quite a bit in stock. I have a sealed very low humidity room I keep all my powder and primers in so they should keep for a long time. All that to ask this question.....

Say if I have for example, 3 8lb jugs of US869 and 10 or 12 1lb cans. All are from different lots. Rather than having to change or verify my loads each time I use a can and start on a different lot # of powder, what would be wrong with taking ALL the powder and mixing it together real well. It seems to me this would effectively make the entire amount have the same characteristics, and would be like having all the powder come from the same lot.

Has anyone tried this or know of any reason this would not work, or would be dangerous?? I know I would need to mix the powder in an anti-static container, but other than that I have not come up with a reason this would not accomplish my goal of a large quantity of powder with the "same lot #" characteristics.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mixing powder??

I have a related question. So, if RDM doesn't mind, I'll throw it into the mix so to speak...

I sometimes load a batch and head to the range expecting to come back and load another batch. Then, I get side tracked and maybe a 3rd pound of h4831sc will sit in the RCBS powder dispenser for a week or so exposed to ambient indoor light, temp, and humidity.

When I get back around to loading, I think it's not ideal. So, I dump it back in the original container and open a new/fresh 1lb canister.

As a result, I usually have 6-8 partial cans and have often wondered how that week or so might've degraded the quality and if it would be safe to mix them together.

Thoughts?

-- Richard
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

No problem Richard. Maybe someone will weigh in with advice / info that answer our questions.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
what would be wrong with taking ALL the powder and mixing it together real well. It seems to me this would effectively make the entire amount have the same characteristics, and would be like having all the powder come from the same lot.

Has anyone tried this or know of any reason this would not work, or would be dangerous?? I know I would need to mix the powder in an anti-static container, but other than that I have not come up with a reason this would not accomplish my goal of a large quantity of powder with the "same lot #" characteristics.
I have been doing this for many years. Haven't seen any problems yet due to mixing same powders of different lots. Ultimately, we want to develop the load with the "mixed" lot, and make sure it is in fact mixed well. I've put 3 partial 1 lb cans of H 4831SC in a tumbler and mixed them that way. I also mixed alot of H380 before I started buying it in 8lb cans.

I didn't want to worry about re-testing loads when I changed from one lot# to the next either.

I don't have any info on powder deterioration, I've never left any out.? Don't know why you couldn't mix the cans for the same reason though, unless it is really degraded? I don't know how degraded powders behave.

Just in case any newbies are reading this and misunderstand:
Never Ever mix powders of different type or brand. IMR 4831 is not the same as Hogdens 4831, do not mix them!! I would not even mix H4831 with H4831SC.

Last edited by SBruce; 03-10-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

I would think it would be time consuming to try to mix up more than a pound or so. Maybe eight pounds at the most

Tumbler idea doesn't sound too bad.

I don't think powder goes all that bad in the measure, that fast. Enough to change your poi, maybe, I don't think it would make it dangerous.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

Thanks SBruce and BigSky..... Good to hear from someone who has done this on a smaller scale. I will probably not try to mix 20 or 30 pounds together, as BigSky said the mechanics of doing that are a little difficult.

What I was thinking about though is a 5 lb jug of Alliant powder (RL 25) is a BIG jug and I have a couple of empty ones around. US 869 is a very dense powder (ball) and I think I could easily get 10 to 15 lbs of it in the RL 25 jug. Mix it real well by rolling / shaking the container, the pour it back into the original container(s) and mark as "mixed". 10 to 15 lbs of the same "lot" of powder should do me for a while anyway.

As for the partial cans of powder, I commonly take a little powder left in one can and pour it into the new one, shake it up and use it. I have just gotten so picky about trying to keep loads consistent that I try to buy everything I use much of in 5 or 8 lb jugs. Most of the time powders have seemed very consistent between one can and the next, but I have had some that were VERY different as well. Thanks for the input guys........
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As for the partial cans of powder, I commonly take a little powder left in one can and pour it into the new one, shake it up and use it. I have just gotten so picky about trying to keep loads consistent that I try to buy everything I use much of in 5 or 8 lb jugs. Most of the time powders have seemed very consistent between one can and the next, but I have had some that were VERY different as well. Thanks for the input guys........
It's time I start special ordering larger cans. I just never find them on the shelf locally.

I may also do an experiment and leave some out for 2 weeks and load a box and compare that to some that's brand new. I have no suspicion of it being dangerous. But, I'm curious about SD, ES, and reduced MV.

thanks!
Richard