Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Mixing different lots of powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Gold Member

Mixing different lots of powder

I have 5 pounds of Retumbo powder that are all different lot numbers. I am thinking about mixing all five 1pound containers into 1 large container and mixing them together so I don't have to adjust loads every pound. What do you think?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mixing different lots of powder

Go for it. I've done it in the past w no issues.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I do it, think of it as just evening things out
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Unless there is a questionable lot (old, questiinable storage, etc) I'd mix 'em.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
I have 5 pounds of Retumbo powder that are all different lot numbers. I am thinking about mixing all five 1pound containers into 1 large container and mixing them together so I don't have to adjust loads every pound. What do you think?

It would probably be ok, But I personaly would not mix different lot numbers or even the same lot
numbers for several reasons=

I would use out of one and leave the other cans sealed to last longer.

The other reason is that you can never get them mixed uniformely and the results may vary
shot to shot.

When I run out of one can I seperate the next batch of loads to verify the velocity of the new
can/lot of powder and then adjust the load volume accordingly. (It might only take 1/10th
of a grain, or might not need any adjustments) but it does happen even with the same batch
sometimes based on the age and number of times you opened the old can to humidity.

It sounds like spliting hairs, but at long range everything effects the POI.

I stoped buying bulk powder (8 pound+ kegs) after I found velocities falling the older the powder
got and the more I opened it in the 90% humidity of south texas.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Can't see going to the range to verify every time I switch from pound to pound. I prefer to buy 5 or 8 lb cans or same lot number with one pound containers but that isn't always possible. I have mixed lots for years.

After you mix them try to put the powder into containers that get filled close to the top. I think keeping out as much air as possible might help keep the powder fresh. I often combine two separate one pound containers into one container for the same reason.