Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Mix and Match die use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Mix and Match die use

"In time, you're likely to find that company X makes the best size die for your use, while company Y has a better seater."

Mr. Thomas, I understand your point but I haven't found that to be true. On average, I HAVE found about as much variation between dies of the same caliber from the same maker as there I have between brands.

It seems no brand has a lock on being made to "tighter tolerances" than others. In fact, it seems all makers vary within the full range of tolerances allowed by the SAAMI standards. Ditto with our chambers. So, getting the best match of dies, either sizers or seaters, to a specific firearm is pure chance. I measure the fit and select the best I can find, the brand being irrelivant. At least to me.

My Sako 22-250 sure loves you guys 36 gr. Varmint Grenades! Me too.

Last edited by boomtube; 02-19-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Unread 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Another technique is to buy a Redding body bump die($25) and send it to JLC Precision, Jim Carstenson and for $80 he will convert it to FL size die with bushings custom honed to your chamber.

He needs 10 pieces of 2x fired brass and turn around is about 2-3 weeks door to door.

I use his FI bushing dies a lot now and Forester Micro seaters for Wilson inline seaters.

He is on under the tools section.

Unread 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

In my fav cartridges I've been using a lee collet die, redding body die, and forster seater. Been working really sweet for me but can sure see how nice that customized die would be.
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Generally speaking, I find that no one set of dies fit every situation even in the same caliber. I use whatever gives the best results for the rifle, which takes owning multiple dies (even in the same caliber). I do find that the Forster floating dies gives pretty good results even with their expander ball (minimal runout). But the results on these dies are based on a "floating" die instead of a fixed 7/8-14 die thread, so clearly multiple factors can affect your decision. Dies are fairly cheap, so mix and match and let the data tell you if your combo is correct. Handloading is both a science and an art