Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Misfired Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: Misfired Primers

I been developing my loads on WLP since federal and CCI were gone missing last year, I probably have another 500 primers left, this is the first time they behave like this looks like 5 (3) misfires out of 500 so far... Just doesn't feel right when I pull my trigger and silence follows...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Well I certainly understand your dalima. you have to use what you can get. I was fortunate enough to run into a bunch of federals before I ran out. I have noticed though that CCI primers are easy to come by around here. I guess its a position only you can decide whats right for you.

Mike
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

Primers. Thanks for letting us know. You might want to call Winchester to at least let them know..they may be willing to pay to have them shipped back so they can figure out what they need to do to fix. At the very least they should make good on new primers.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

I doubt it's a primer problem.
Not because it isn't possible, but because it's least likely.

Primer ignition is a tricky thing. It's more about impact speed, than impact force.
If primers aren't seated to a preloaded condition(crush), they'll seat further on impact
-slowing relative impact speed.
If your pin spring weakens enough in cold temps, or the internal(to bolt) grease thickens, drag can slow impact.

Yesterday turned sad for me when I discovered my firing pin catch had loosened, causing occasional misfires. Like you, the problem was intermittant, and re-firing would eventually set em off. The dimples left on mis-fired primers were plenty deep, but my pin was not pulled back normal distance, and that mean't slower strikes at these temps. A clue to this discovery was that mis-firing occurred only when the GUN got cold enough (I kept my ammo warm).
Anyway, I reassembled the bolt, locktite & a couple mods to prevent future failures,, back to the range and find velocities higher, gun out of tune, a weeks worth of seriously cold load developement invalidated...

Check your bolts
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

So when I fired more then 50 rounds and got 5 misfires my bolt wasn't functioning correctly, but the next round would fire, because of the spring in the bolt weakens because of the cold weather... Thank you, this is very interesting theory but I shot this riffles in the colder temperature before and misfires never occurred, however I did disassemble bolts at the end of the regular season and I cleaned and oiled spring and striker thoroughly, could be this extra oil in the bolt slow it down, I used Hoppe's 9 spray to lubricate it. Here is a picture of the primers which misfired, I also put few unfired ones.

I think the blue stuff got on the primers, that's primer sealant I used and I think it somehow cripple them, some chemical reaction I guess... Another theory and I'm not using primer seal next time....

Last edited by Jinx-); 12-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Why were you using primer sealant? Are you going to reload some additional rounds using the same primer lot w/o sealant and see what happens? Not that it would be completely conclusive but if all goes ok then maybe it was the sealant. If you continue to have misfires then you've at least eliminated sealant. Keep us posted on what you eventually conclude.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Why were you using primer sealant?
Well I thought since I bought it and didn't use it why not give it a try, it suposed to keep moister out even if I drop them in the water

Yes I will try to load more but not sure if I'll be able to try them any time soon, my range will be closed till spring... have to find place to test them...