Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Misfire problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Misfire problems

if you're seeing any primer indent at all, it's not the trigger issue...it's gonna either be a firing pin issue (obstructed as someone else suggested, or something broken)... or it could still be bad primers, it happens.

How do the primer strikes look on the rounds that did fire? Do they look normal, as deep as they're supposed to be?

Is there any mark at all on the primer of the round that didn't fire?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

Very small marks or "nicks" in the primer on the misfires. Almost unnoticable actually. Fired rounds show normal indentations on the primers.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

the firing pin should never even nick the primer if you're dealing with a block sear issue (from the safety blade in the trigger)... so I don't think that's the issue now.

there could be something in the bolt assembly (broken spring or other part) that is dragging the forward motion down, intermittently (sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn't).

here's a video on taking down the bolt...

and another...

check these videos about the accutrigger also...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for those links, Dan.

I took the bolt apart just now and didn't see anything broken or out of the ordinary. Only thing I did notice is the little metal washer on the outside of the bolt was a little warped. Not sure if that has any affect on the firing pin or not. I did not take apart the bolt head and extractor apart.

Other than that, it all looked pretty good. Quite honestly, I was hoping there was something broken so that at least I would know what was causing the problem.

I'm stumped.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

I too had the same issue, I have a Savage 110FCP w/HS Precision stock in the .338 LM. I have had 5 rounds do the same thing, only one of which actually showed an impression from the firing pin, very small indention though. I just re-chambered them all and they fired like normal. Been testing some of my own loads and gaining on accuracy, the Berger 300gr OTM's really like being close to the lands in My rifle, .020" Jump. Thing's were going great until My rail came loose "AGAIN" from the action. I used locktite on the screws this time so hopefully it cures the issue. Hope you get your misfire problem resovled. One issue I do have is that the extractor doesn't always grab the spent brass when I pull the bolt back. It has happened about 5 times out of the 70 rounds I've put through it. Maybe the HSM Brass is too soft???
Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

On the Hornady brass for the 338 LM in the Savage chamber... it may be too long, and the necks hang at the case mouth... check the case length and see if they need to be trimmed a bit (not sure of the actual trim to numbers, I don't have them in front of me)...

As to the misfiring...

That "warped" washer, if it's the one I think you're referring to, is supposed to be warped... so that's good.

It's probably either a bad batch of primers (cups cast too thick), or the safety blade in the accutrigger might not be getting pulled back far enough, and the sear is glancing off it, and not allowing a clean release of the firing pin.

Take some spent cases and put some of those primers in them and just fire the primers (point the barrel into a pile of rags, or else outside in a safe direction...

Maybe with some experimenting with firing primers only (in empty brass) you can figure out what is going on.

Try another brand of primer also, in this same manner... possibly the other primers will not give misfires...

I've got an old H&R shotgun that won't shoot Federal 20 gauge shells, primers are too hard... Winchester's never fail... now that's an issue with hammer spring strength, of course... but if a lot of primers are particularly hard, they can cause this problem in an otherwise normally functioning rifle...

Dan
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Is this new brass in the rifle, sounds like it could be short in the chamber and need to be fire formed so to speak. Fired case shoulder verses, first time shoulder?