Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Misfire problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Misfire problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by green 788 View Post
Well... you definitely haven't bumped the shoulder back too far... headspace is good...

Does this gun have an Accu-trigger by any chance?

If you don't depress the safety blade enough when pulling the trigger... you get a "click" instead of a bang. :o

I've seen this happen a lot, to myself and others... if you sort of "side swipe" the trigger when you're pulling it, the sear will drop but the safety blade with keep the gun from firing.
Yes, it does have the accu-trigger. I've heard of the "side swipe" problems from a couple guys here on the forums as well. Guess I will have to have a smith check the firing pin and then make sure I pay more attention to my trigger pull methods.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Definitely looks like green 788 is right that this is related to not getting a good firing pin strike. I have a friend with a savage with an accu-trigger. If you close the bolt hard the accu- trigger somehow disengages and the gun will click but there is no firing pin strike.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

Is replacing the trigger even an option?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Is replacing the trigger even an option?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

I don't think I'd replace the trigger... it works well when properly used. As to just what (if any) aftermarket options are out there, I'm not sure. Such triggers would not likely sell very well, because they wouldn't end up being much of an improvement over the Accutrigger...

Here's a thread from the archives here...

Anyone else have problems with savage accutrigger?

I didn't read it all, but I'm sure it'll have some info you may be interested in.

Dan
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

That's a pretty informative thread, Dan. Thanks.

I bought my rifle used (40 rounds) so I'm not sure what the trigger is set at. It is pretty light though. I'll have to check that as well.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I appreciate it!

Blake
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

So I finally had a chance to test the last 3 rounds that I could not get to fire the other day. First two fired and the third was a misfire. Re chambered the round and it fired.

Very frustrating to say the least!!! This is my hunting rifle and the very last thing in the world I want to worry about or even have in the back of my mind is whether or not it will fire at the "moment of truth".

I will have the trigger pull tested and if it's set at 2.5lbs or higher, I will assume the issue is the firing pin.

I really need to get this resolved. It's been over a year of testing loads for this gun for me and I am finally very close. I've been able to duplicate a .41 twice and really feel like with a few more adjustments, I will be in the .25 range. This whole misfire issue is really frustrating. I've only got a few more weeks before the springs winds start where I live and I won't be able to test very often. I am hoping to be done by then!