Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Misfire problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Misfire problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by green 788 View Post
put a couple layers of masking tape, or one layer of duct tape on the case head of one of those rounds that wouldn't fire... see if the bolt will "no go" (failure to close, too tight)...

If the round chambers easily with a layer of duct tape on the case head, then you do have the shoulder bumped back too far.

If the round will not chamber, I wouldn't suspect a shoulder bump excess... could be firing pin issue, or even some bad primers.

Your extractor is going to hold the case pretty close to the bolt face, by the way... so I'm leaning more toward a firing pin issue or some bad primers (at times, primers will have too heavy of a cup, and they're hard to ignite)...

Dan
I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

what did you find out about your rifle?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green 788 View Post
what did you find out about your rifle?
Got about 6-8 inches of snow up here the last couple days. I'm just waiting for it to dry out a little before I try to get those last three rounds to fire. Looked for a headspace gauge in phoenix all last weekend and couldn't find one. Guess I'll have to order one online.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

I'm not thinking you need a headspace gauge... did you try the tape on the case head trick?

You do still have 3 cartridges that didn't fire, right?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Just checked it. Put one layer of blue masking tape on the case head and the bolt would not close at all.

The firing pin is just barely leaving a mark on the primers so my guess is it's not a primer issue.

Is it safe to assume then that its a firing pin issue?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
Just checked it. Put one layer of blue masking tape on the case head and the bolt would not close at all.

The firing pin is just barely leaving a mark on the primers so my guess is it's not a primer issue.

Is it safe to assume then that its a firing pin issue?
There's only one way to find out, disassemble the bolt and find the problem, it may be a piece of junk in there or too much lube that has accumulated a lot of dust binding things up. I would also be checking that there are no burrs on the cocking piece that could hang up the firing pin assembly.

If you can uncock the bolt, measure how much firing pin protrusion there is, it should be between .050"-.065", anything less than .050" will give you misfires, anything over .065" can cause pierced primers.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

Well... you definitely haven't bumped the shoulder back too far... headspace is good...

Does this gun have an Accu-trigger by any chance?

If you don't depress the safety blade enough when pulling the trigger... you get a "click" instead of a bang. :o

I've seen this happen a lot, to myself and others... if you sort of "side swipe" the trigger when you're pulling it, the sear will drop but the safety blade with keep the gun from firing.