Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Misfire problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Bronze Member

Misfire problems

Had an issue yesterday while testing some new loads in my 6.5x284

I FL sized my brass for the first time after having an issue with hard bolt closure. Basically just sized, chambered the round and resized again until the bolt closed with the normal resistance. Loaded like I normally do with Norma brass and Federal 210 primers.

Loaded 9 rounds. First 3 shot fine. All the remaining 6 were mis fires. Firing pin just barely made a mark on the primers. Cycled the them again and was finally able to get 3 of them to fire after a few more misfires.

Any thoughts as to the problem? At first I thought maybe since I FL sized them, but the first three were just fine and all 9 were sized the same.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Re: Misfire problems

BML,
Probably you pushed the shoulder too far and now the case has too much head space.That can cause the firing pin to knock the case forward rather than igniting the primer.Also,if I am correct, it can cause the brass to fail by case head separations after a few firings due to the stretching that occurs as the case re-elongates with firing.
The best way to keep your head space correct is to get head space gauges that fit your calipers or if you do a lot of different calibers, get the Innovative Technologies head space gauge which easily adjusts to every caliber I have except 50BMG.
Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment
Head space gauges will allow you to adjust your dies to push the shoulder back just a couple thousandths giving excellent uniformity and better brass life.The technique you used sounds reasonable, but I still would put my money on too much head space.
Darrel
Old 03-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

To avoid this type of problem, I check case headspace using a Wilson case gage. I have a case gage for every caliber that I handload (except belted cases, of course). Highly recommended.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tips. Picking up a head space gauge today.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

put a couple layers of masking tape, or one layer of duct tape on the case head of one of those rounds that wouldn't fire... see if the bolt will "no go" (failure to close, too tight)...

If the round chambers easily with a layer of duct tape on the case head, then you do have the shoulder bumped back too far.

If the round will not chamber, I wouldn't suspect a shoulder bump excess... could be firing pin issue, or even some bad primers.

Your extractor is going to hold the case pretty close to the bolt face, by the way... so I'm leaning more toward a firing pin issue or some bad primers (at times, primers will have too heavy of a cup, and they're hard to ignite)...

Dan
Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Is it a custom?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Is it a custom?
It's the Savage LRH.