Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Metplat trimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Metplat trimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
How would tipping effect bullet expansion?

Most hollow point bullets utilize hydraulic pressure to initiate expansion. By tipping them you're closing the HP. I would tend to believe that process may have an effect... I don't know for sure, just my .002.

t

Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

Just a guess they'll probably start tumbling internally instead of fracturing. But I think they'll stay stable a lot longer in flight.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Does pointing and trimming make a difference? I think so for long range target shooting where ½” at 1000 can make all the difference with a close score after a few days shooting and where expansion means squat to paper. I don’t think a deer will notice the small BC improvement with pointing but will take notice to a bullet not expanding. Trimming is usually conducted in conjunction with pointing to uniform the BC. There is little advantage by conducting these reloading procedures for big game hunting. Maybe so if you are ELR hunting and know when to do one or both to improve results. I point and trim when necessary only for target shooting and ELR testing.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Take care to understand what you're really doing with meplat trimming. There can be detriment to it.
You're not uniforming meplats to a standard diameter, you're trimming noses to length based on datums varying by ogive radius.
Meplat diameters, and their variance has a really big effect on BC/BC variance.

To prevent creating variance -with trimming, you need to first qualify bullets by ogive radius. This is qualifying datums for nose trimming.

I agree that Kevin Cram's trimmer is excellent, and Hoover's pointer is excellent.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

I totally agree and think trimming only would be better for game.
But for paper I'd be willing to try trimming pointing but unfortunately my reloads are already better than my shooting!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

I have shot 10 deer and 2 coyotes with the Hornady 285gr BTHP .338 bullet which came pointed from the factory. All the animals showed massive tissue damage. Shot with a .338 EDGE at 2980fps. The fact that the bullets were pointed did not seem to hurt the bullet's performance. I have pointed some 300gr Bergers and they shot about 1 moa flatter at 1200yds, but have not shot any game with the pointed Bergers. Gary
Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Yeh a .277 pointed is probably less desire able. ANYTHING .338 has so much ass (s.d.) it aint goin to matter much.