Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

meplate uniforming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM

meplate uniforming

Thought I'd see if anyone might be able to explain the right way to uniform a bullet's meplate. Fom what I've read you remove around .005 to .007 of material. I need to know when I sort the bullets prior to trimming by measuring the base to ogive, do I adjust the amount of material I remove based on various "base to ogive lengths" or do I trim them all the same and only measure with a comparator to create consistency for shooting groups? Also what increments in base to ogive length should the 300gr SMK be reasonably sorted in?

Thanks for any help
Andy D
Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Re: meplate uniforming

Trimming the meplate should not alter the base to ogive length in any manner.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 PM

I realize that trimming the meplate does not alter the base to ogive length I was wondering if you need to trim varying amounts from the meplate depending upon different lots of bullets separated by varying "base to ogive lengths."
Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Bronze Member

The accepted theory is to only cut what's needed off the nose of the bullet. All bullets should be cut the same amount.

It is yet to be proven there is any advantage when the bullets are shot at ranges shorter than 500 yards.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The accepted theory is to only cut what's needed off the nose of the bullet. All bullets should be cut the same amount.

It is yet to be proven there is any advantage when the bullets are shot at ranges shorter than 500 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen to both statements.
I wouldn't bother shooting less than 500 yards.
But for Long Range Hunting ( 1K+ ), it can have a significant advantage.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Thanks for all the input. It's much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

I would even go so far as to say that it doesn't make much difference even at 1k. I have only really seen bad meplats make a difference on certain bullets past 1500 yards. A much more important and detrimental aspect to accuracy at these ranges is the bearing surface length and the length from ogive to base of bullet.

Every bullet I load that will be shot at ranges of 800 yards or further will be measured for bearing surface length and loaded into my ammo box in rows with same lengths. If there are quite a few different lengths in my ammo box, I will make marks on the tip of the bullet with a sharpie to distinguish which is which.

I personally have tested several VLD style bullets at 1500 yards out to a tad over 2000 yards and have seen .002" difference in bearing surface make as much as two feet of vertical impact!

It is a drowsy job measuring bearing surfaces on every bullet you want to shoot but if you want to be deadly at longer ranges, it is a must! If we could just get bullets for our game that were as uniform as bullets for the 100 yard BR crowd, we would have records being broke on a weekly basis. They have come a long way from first introduction, but there is still room for improvement.

I just got through measuring a new batch of Berger 140 grain VLD's for my 6.5-.284 and it was one of the worst lots I have ever seen come from Berger. They must have had their presses all screwed up the day they made this lot because there was .010" variation in length! Terrible. I will most likely just use this lot for varmints and forget trying to shoot groups with them even after sorting them out.

Anyhow, hope this helps.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.