Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Meplat Uniform or Mearsure bearing surface first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Meplat Uniform or Mearsure bearing surface first.

Hey guys, I am beginning the process of measuring the bearing surface and uniforming the meplates on my bullets. My question is, do you uniform the meplates first and then mearsure the bearing surface? Or is it the other way around. I bet I am supposed to uniform the meplates first. Any info would be great, Thanks! Wildcat.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: Meplat Uniform or Mearsure bearing surface first.

wildcat,
I think you might have had 1 too many barley pop's, bullet bearing surface is unrelated to meplat uniforming.
If you have a bullet bearing surface comparator measure all of your bullets first segregating them into lots,then you can measure from the rear bearing surface to the meplat and uniform if needed. measuring and segregating into different lots is the way to go if you can ,meplat uniforming does work but will degrade B.C. more than you think.
UB
Old 09-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I know that trimming the meplat will take some of my BC away, but I am looking for consistancy with every shot. Like I said before, I am still learning so any suggestions help. Thanks, Wildcat.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

How well does uniforming affect weight consistancy of the bullet?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM
SPONSOR

weight consistancy will stay very simliar as to what it weighed before trimming the meplat unless you take a large amount of material off, which is not necesary. I trim approx .007" off of the meplat, just enough to clean up. But before I trim I segrigate the bullets by measureing the base to ogive. By trimming your meplats you will get a more consistant shot to shot accuracy with only a little loss in B.C. approx 2%. I trimmed every bullet I shot at long distance, and have found my shot to shot more consistant than not uniforming. I build and sell the only stainless steel meplat uniforming tool on the market. No plastic to compress and move bullet further into the body resulting in a.o.l variances. A.O.L. on average are within .001". It also has a secondary tool which removes the burr pushed inside the hollow point area, and gives it a clean chamfer. You can e-mail me for pics and a full description.
montourcountyrifles@msn.com

www.mcrifles.com
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I do not think it effects it that much, but I am still learning about this process. I am really looking foward to trying it out. My best 3 shot group with my 6.5x284 Improved (290nk)is .093 at 100 yards. If this process makes the bullet more accurate, I can't wait to see the results. I hope it makes a difference. Good luck, Wildcat.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 PM
SPONSOR

You probably won't notice a difference at ranges under 300 yards. This operation is merely for extended range. The further you shoot the more each round needs to be alike. If you can take out a variable your one step ahead, but mother nature is two steps.

www.mcrifles.com