Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Meplat trimming & bullet tipping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Meplat trimming & bullet tipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Interesting thread on this on BR central where several tests were done and documented as much as 18" less wind deflection and 3 MOA elevation depending on the bullet. Done by the best LR shooters who know what they are doing and how to win.
Just who are the best LR shooters?

I ask because there's 3 or 4 disciplines who have excellent LR shooters. And there's not a bid of difference in their hardware's accuracy.

Meanwhile, back to meplatting and trimming, I don't think the Juenke tool would be as good as one that spun them upwards of 100,000 rpm or higher. The Juenke tool did a good job of measuring jacket and case wall thickness, but not the mass of core plus jacket spinning about its center of form. This is what the bullet does going down the barrel. Any offset between center of form and center of mass is what causes the bullet to exit the muzzle at an angle to the bore axis.

Surely there's a motor that would spin 'em that fast....somewhere. Even an air dirven one would work. Such as those used to spin rate gryos at ultra high speed.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Again, another trip down the past, but Mid and Jim had done something like this at one point. I have no idea what became of the tool they developed to do this, but I'll ask Mid. I do recall them saying that they'd had some good results in spinning/sorting bullets this way, and the results of the testing translated into better results on the range.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Just who are the best LR shooters?

I ask because there's 3 or 4 disciplines who have excellent LR shooters. And there's not a bid of difference in their hardware's accuracy.

Meanwhile, back to meplatting and trimming, I don't think the Juenke tool would be as good as one that spun them upwards of 100,000 rpm or higher. The Juenke tool did a good job of measuring jacket and case wall thickness, but not the mass of core plus jacket spinning about its center of form. This is what the bullet does going down the barrel. Any offset between center of form and center of mass is what causes the bullet to exit the muzzle at an angle to the bore axis.

Surely there's a motor that would spin 'em that fast....somewhere. Even an air dirven one would work. Such as those used to spin rate gryos at ultra high speed.
Bart

If you read the post, you recognize the names and know they are some of the tops of NRA LR, F Class and 1k BR.

The Juenke was/is different BUT most importantly was the only commercial machine that did something similar that worked, albeit maybe not as good as Vaughns original spinner idea that was never made into a workable marketable product.

I have heard that someone is trying to buy the rights to the Juenke and market it again with some improvements.

Now if someone can just design and market an affordable spinner or something similar.

BH