Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Meplat trimming & bullet tipping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Meplat trimming & bullet tipping?

What do you think? Is it worth doing for long range target shooting and or hunting?

Bullet Pointing Die, Bullet Tipping Die, Meplat Trimmer

joseph
Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Meplat trimming & bullet tipping?

The very limited benefit of meplat trimming is of little consequence for hunting bullets. I shoot long range competition and often trim VLD meplats. Doing this will result in slight loss of BC. I have seen no improvement in accuracy. I do not yet point bullets. Guys who do point bullets tell me they can see very little difference. I am reluctant to keep spending $$ on gadgets that are not effective. You need to decide.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Gene,

I didn't think it would make a hill of beans for increasing accuracy. And it is BIG BUCKS to do both.

joseph
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Always amazing to read generalizations about hunting needs, as though LESS than for competition....

Hunting, espescially when it involves long range shooting, demands far more attention to details to be successful. Hunting shots require REAL accuracy,, without sighters, foulers, barrel temp stabilization, wind flags, benches, benchrests, stools, and with guns that can be carried & fired from any condition required to meet the challenge -at any abstract range.
ONE SHOT

Now, what anyone competing and actually representing competition should be aware of, is that the devil in LR shooting is WIND DRIFT VARIANCE.
This is the ultimate variable in long range shooting, and it's what provides potential in bullet uniforming.

Meplats have a large affect on BC, which has a large affect on wind drift. Shooters cannot consistently account for wind drift, so reducing every variable possible(other than actual wind) is a worthy endeavor. It can extend your single shot accuracy range, regardless of what competitors think about it...
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

For long range hunting, bullet tipping can make a significant difference, depending on which bullet you are tipping of course. Benefits are higher b.c. , better, and more consistent, expansion at lower velocities (long range). As far as accuracy goes there probably isn't much difference providing you have uniformity. Having said that, it is easier to hit a long range target with a higher b.c. bullet........Rich
Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

The bullets I have seen trimmed and tipped seem to finish looking like a FMJ. Has anyone tested SMK bullets for before and after expansion? I realize these bullets don't have a huge hollow point to start but virtually none after.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
The bullets I have seen trimmed and tipped seem to finish looking like a FMJ. Has anyone tested SMK bullets for before and after expansion? I realize these bullets don't have a huge hollow point to start but virtually none after.
You can enhance the expansion of an SMK by drilling the tip out 1/2 the meplat diameter and filling the void with silicone......Rich