Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Measuring your powder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Measuring your powder.

At this time I have Beam type scale for reloading....what is your opinion of the Digital design?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Measuring your powder.

For the past 1 1/2 years I have been using a Chargemaster digital with great success. I just recently sent it in for repair as the on/off switch quit working, and have been using my beam scale lately. I am not nearly as fast with the beam scale, and have to use a magnifying glass to see if I am right on for my charge weight. I miss my Chargemaster.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
At this time I have Beam type scale for reloading....what is your opinion of the Digital design?
I have and use both types and would not take for ether one.

I use the chargemaster for most bulk loading. and the beam scale for working up test loads
where I might only load 3 to 5 loads befor I change the powder charge.

I also have a digital scale that is great for weighing brass and/or bullets. (Very Fast).

They all have there strong points.

I have a very good beam scale and I use it to check both digital scales because every now and
then they will go off on the calibration and this is a good way to verify there accuracy.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Bronze Member

I retired my beam scales years ago when the Mrs bought me a Dillon Determinator for my birthday.I didn't trust it at first and weighed charges with it and then checked them with a beam scale.It was never more than 1/10th of a grain off.
Now I have used it so long I can tell when it "hiccupps".
I just rezero it and then weigh the charge again.
Next on the list is a Pact digital measure/scale system.
Howard
Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

"what is your opinion of the Digital design? "

Digital powder scales of any type are a solution for problems I don't have. But, other than being vastly more pricy than they should be, more than a bit quirky and relitively short lived, I suppose they are good enough. Those lucky enough to get a "good one" (many don't) seem to like them...until they crach anyway. (Digital stuff does that you know!)

Lessee, Chinese digital cell phones (cost as little as $12) are much more complex and rugged than Chinese digital scales/powder dumpsters that sell for 30 times more money. Maybe someone's getting ripped by our reloading companies?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

I started Ohaus triple beam, moved up to Dillon D-Terminator, Then to Chargemaster. I also have an Acculab to doublecheck things.

IMO, my Dillon is an excellent reloading scale overall, and the Acculab is not a reloading scale at all, as it is too sensitive and time consuming(albeit, incredibly accurate).
But;
The chargemaster represents a huge leap forward in reloading, and is my favorite.
Fast as my Dillon, accurate enough, and sweet controlling of powder charges.
I could purge all else at this point.