Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Measuring Base to Ogive Length w/ Hornady OAL Gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Measuring Base to Ogive Length w/ Hornady OAL Gauge

At least on your last 2 posts you have "edited" so maybe you are paying more attention to what you're posting, or going back and rereading so that you are being more accurate. Improvement upon previous habits

I don't use full length dies or at least haven't for years now since I discovered the problems with expander balls. Only have one in 375 Ruger and it does need to be in contact between the shell holder and bottom of die + 1/8 turn. In the past when I did use FL dies I do recall having to raise the ram to the bottom of the die, lower it and adjust an additional amount down, between where it hit the shell holder and an additional 1/4 turn down.

Now it's Lee Collets or bushing neck sizers but I do still use several Redding Body Dies. ALL of them require there be no gap between the shell holder and the bottom of the die. One of them even had to have some taken off the bottom of the die before it would even reach the shoulder to push it back. Not a problem since I have access to an industrial machine shop. That was on a 22-250 and a Remington rifles which are notoriously large case bodied and short shouldered.

Perhaps our differences stem from me loading hunting rounds in over 40 rifles (222, 223, 22-250, 243, 264, 6.5 rem mag, 270, 280, 280AI, 7mag, 30-06, 300WSM, 300WM, 338WM, 338RUM & 375R) and not on a non-hunting case like 308.

The original topic (read the title) was about base to ogive and your postulation was that to be accurate, OAL has to be measured from shoulder to ogive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
So, if one wants the seated bullet to be exactly the same distance off the lands on all rounds when fired, the bullet seater has to use the case shoulder, not the case head, as its reference.
So the thread might be better served to expound upon your experience with that and the tools you use, although I do not give up the ground that since all my cases after sizing have the same measurement from base to shoulder it is not necessary
Old 06-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Gold Member

BTW, just a quick check on latest threads here

Question on sizing belted mag brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by imohunting View Post
I seat the die to the shell holder and give an extra 1/4 turn like my other reloads
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
I worked my way down 1/8 or less and could never get the shoulder back with the RCBS dies.

bolt closing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-pratt View Post
Some dies even when set to touch the shell holder will not set the shoulder back and that is why, as your brass gets shot more it becomes a little harder to chamber.

But not many posters on LRH that don't know to thread the die further in past contact with shell holder in order to push shoulder back. Will keep you in mind and add as available
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

All those thousands of reloaders, die makers who make gauges to measure shoulder setback and shell holders to control it, are obviously doing things different than others. They all know the pit falls of standard FL dies setting fired case shoulders back too far. And that more often than not, a FL die set to stop against the shell holder as the press cams over center, fired case shoulders are set back; sometimes way too far, sometimes just a little bit, rarely not at all. Expecially with chambers whose shoulder headspace is at the maximum length and with dies whose shoulder headspace on a standard shell holder is at the minimum length.