Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Measure this and measure that.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Measure this and measure that.

3six. I have a lot of replying to do so I will simply say I read your post and thank you. 8 bucks is certainly in my price range.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

GG thanks. I don't do any compeating (sp?) so I had no practical experience to tell me at what distance to start sweating the little stuff. I will just buy wildcats and maybe the tool(s) mentioned by 3six and/or Dave and just check for major flaws.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'll say that it most likely would not effect bearing surface length, and here's why. To measure BS length a basic tool is used in order to engauge the bullet at a specific diameter on both ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I thought the larger or smaller dia would change the BS measurement. If you increased the diameter by .001" the ID of the tools would rest farther apart. If the ogive is tangent to the BS that one thou dia change would be maybe a 10 thou (or more) length increase on the BS.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing to remember though is that most bullets are not uniform in diameter along the bearing length and you'd have to decide where to measure them for comparison, then if they varied (or did not vary) in the other area you did not measure, the question what to do arises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I don't shoot enough to wait until I have enough with similar measurements in too many variable areas.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The manufacturing process really cant let the diameter be off -- unless different dies are used. I have a 50millionths mic, maybe i'll check a few 142's when i get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume that every variable is variable. It may be a closer tolerance than the other possibilities but the first rule of machining is that NOTHING is exact.

Let me know what you find out. I will be interested to know If you would try measuring the dia just ablve the boat tail and also near the base of the ogive. The middle of the BS would be less significant (but not totaly insignificant).
Old 04-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I hope that I am not the only one feeling this way. When I buy 'match' bullets, I want match bullets. Having to dick around and sort and separate and modify and toss is not what I feel deserves the match bullet cost premium.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It should be a simple and automated process for someone like Sierra to sort bullets coming off the line for BS and then to sell them accordingly boxed. It shouldnt matter to the shooter what the precise bearing length is as long as they are all the same in the same box. We, after all, don't care which lot of powder we have as long as the loads come out of the same lot. If we have many rounds to load we buy bigger lots.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dave. I am fairly well versed in drilling holes so that idea is right up my alley. I like simple fixes to simple problems. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

4ked Horn,
after reading your initial post I measured 100 sierra 300gr MK's (338 of course) 25 from 4 different segregated bearing surface lenghts and every one measured exactly the same .3380 . the ones with the hi side GG was telling you about were still .3380 but one side had a slightly longer bearing surface than the other side not a larger diameter. One point I will totally agree with GG on is that it is a waste of time doing bullet bearing surface comparing on a 1000 yard gun ,but on an Ultra Long Range gun bearing surface length makes a huge difference on your vertical stringing period. as far as meplat uniforming I cant really say that I am totally sold on this ,but with that said I do believe that sorting meplat length is beneficial and the ones that are a little too long in the meplat can be trimmed slightly to conform with the rest. (on a test me and GG did I trimmed the meplats on some 300grMK's so that they were perfectly square, at 2000yds they landed 20 feet lower than the untrimmed meplats although much more uniform meplat trimming can be seriously overdone and changes B.C. more than I ever thought) if you are just shooting to 1000 dont do this either but if you are trying to shoot a Chuck at 2300yds do anything you can.
B