Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Me thinks I discovered something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

Re: Me thinks I discovered something

Three cheers for the drop tube!!!!
All of the ammo I load these days goes through one.
I never could figure out why all powder funnels didn't come with one.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Guess I'm just too much of a case stuffer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Already using a drop tube. It's pretty much afixed to my funnel.

I just hate it when I run out of powder room before I run into pressure or other limitations.

I'm kind of a velocity hog anyway. Maybe I should just upgrade to an 338 RUM or something. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

I think the point here is, for instance, filling a case to the neck, as long as it does not spill, and pressures are acceptable, and I am not using Wilson seating die, (of which I have several), but not for every gun I own, and so use a standard RCBS or Redding seating die. In this situation, there is generally a bit of a crunchy feeling as the bullet is seated. Because the cartridge is only supported by the shell holder, and perhaps while seating a flat based bullet, there may be a little misalignment happening, especially if the bullet is not seated deeply.

I don't know if there is run out, in that scenario, never remember checking under that exact set of circumstances? But, in considering it, I can see where it "could" (possibly) happen. I don't normally use a drop tube, or any vibrator action, IF all the powder will stay within the neck, and this is where a bullet might get seated a little catty whompus.

Something to think about.

Good hunting. LB
Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Super compressed loads can affect runout on the bullet, but your brass should still have good concentricity. One thing I have noticed too on super compressed loads is that the powder will push the bullet out of the case or not allow the seater to seat the bullet where you want the it by ogive length. For example, if you want your bullet exactly .001" off the riflings, a compressed load may make some cartridges .002 off, and the next may be .003" into the riflings. It can mean inconsistent seating depths so just check it every time you seat a bullet.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Guess I'm just too much of a case stuffer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Already using a drop tube. It's pretty much afixed to my funnel.

I just hate it when I run out of powder room before I run into pressure or other limitations.

I'm kind of a velocity hog anyway. Maybe I should just upgrade to an 338 RUM or something. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] I have a set of drop tubes made for my Harrel measure that are three feet long. I have powder funnels with 24" drop tubes, and when I say pour slow I was not kidding. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]