Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Me thinks I discovered something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Me thinks I discovered something

Accuracy of my 338 Win went to pot immediately after I shot 3 3shot groups @ 200 yds that averaged in the 5s. I was pretty pleased.

These groups were with new brass.

After shooting the brass once I neck sized them which as been my practice with non mag cals. Velocity fell off and so did accuracy.

I upped the powder to get back to the velocity that produced the good groups. These loads were just a bit compressed. I could feel the crunch and grind of the powder as the bullet was seated.

Had put the orginal loadings on the spinner and things looked pretty fair and thus felt no need to spin further loads.

In working with a couple of new powders (4831 and 4831sc) the SC load wasn't compressed at all. The 4831 did the crunch and grind.

For some reason I put them on the spinner. The SC uncompressed loads were straigh as an arrow. The dial indicator wobbled like a wind shield wiper on the compressed load.

Using standard die set.

Haven't shot 'em yet but I can predict the results.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Me thinks I discovered something

Get a Wilson seater.

Rick
Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

Have the same problem with my 260 rem.
By tapping the filled case to settle the powder, the once compressed charge now does not interfere with bullet seating,
and the concentricity issue is solved. At least that's what worked in my case. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

The tapping of the case suggestion reminds me that there is a very old trick that I have heard of which is placing something like an electric razor or small engraving tool against the tray once the powder is in the case and letting the vibrations settle the powder to maximum density before bullet seating.

I would not let this go for more than a few minutes because most of the settling is going to occur fairly quickly and the rest of the time is just powder rubbing on powder and pretty soon you will have powdered powder.

Ball powders by their nature will pretty much automatically stack to maximum denstiy. It is the coarse stick powders that can be improved.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 AM

You can also touch the case to your tumbler for a second just before seating the bullet. I put a finger over the case mouth before touching the tumbler so no powder bounces out.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

I think this is a very interesting development. I occasionally use a compressed load, but, in retrospect, never did spin them? A Wilson chamber seater cure? Maybe?

Good hunting. LB
Old 06-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

This is and old problem, with and even older fix. Get a long powder drop tube or a long neck funnel and slowly pour the powder into the case. Presto you will no longer have a compressed charge. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]