Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Masters of Reloading......my 300WM is not shooting good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Masters of Reloading......my 300WM is not shooting good.

The A-Max jacket is right between the Berger and SMK so it would be in the same class and would be a good one to test as well.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com

Unread 05-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I would have thought that the SPS would have came aluminum bedded from the factory as my M700P did. Though it may have been a poor job but highly doubt it. Nevertheless, you said you had this done. Who did the work and was he/she reputable?

However, I still feel strongly that thoroughly cleaning the rifle of all fouling is the first step to solving this mystery. Eliminate fouling from equation can only leave the remaining variables to attack. Bullet selection, case prep, headspacing, load work-up, seating depth, bedding and all others follow after that. If you eliminate these one at a time you will eventually find the culprit! Just trying to go at this willy-nilly will only complicate matters and leave you frustrated to say the least. Just one gunsmith’s opinion!

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

The SPS is the economy line of rifle. That does not mean low quality, not no fluff. Most of them have the plain synthetic factory stock that has no bedding block. They also do not accept permanent bedding very well because of the compound of the stock.

Even an aluminum bedding block does not insure consistancy. Remember the Rem 700s are hand finished so their finish is uneven and not true, torque that onto an aluminum bedding block and the receiver will conform until its supported by the block which often imposes stesses into the receiver and bedding contact.

I have yet to see an HS precision shot not shoot better with a good skim bedding. Just because the stock has an aluminum bedding block, that does not mean it does not need to be bedded or will not have consistancy issues.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

I did have the action bedded...The smith is a good friend of mine and does great work...although he doesn't specialize(sp) in custom rifles he does a good job. I will say that due to the stocks construction he did most of the bedding work around the recoil lug. what do you think about this way of doing it?

I will going to a couple shops to get a better cleaner and then follow the break in as you described.(WRG)

I hope that Montana Rifleman is not correct and i just don't have a "shooter"

There have been alot of good suggestions so i'm printing these off and will try them one at a time and if i still can't get it to shoot better then.........

i'll buy some of the other bullets you suggested(fifty driver)

Last edited by AtownBcat; 05-28-2009 at 12:14 AM.