close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Masters of Reloading......my 300WM is not shooting good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Masters of Reloading......my 300WM is not shooting good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
thanks for the reply...but what you said actually brings up another subject that i have had a hard time wrapping my mind around...you mentioned that first you will play with the charge and get it dialed in..then play with the seating depth. Well doesnt this change the load? I mean if you seat the bullet deeper it would increase pressure right...or am i missing something?
No, actually pressure and velocity decrease with seating the bullet deeper. IOW the further from the lands you seat the lower your pressure and velocity will be.

I reload for 9 different 300 win mags and my go to loads have always used RL22 and Fed215 primers. Federal primers have almost always given better results in the rifles I reload for (over 40), sometimes the difference is dramatic and other times more subtle

You have decent groups for a rifle with less than 100 rounds through it. IME rifles will settle down and begin to shoot better after 100 rounds or so. Perhaps that is because I am zeroing in on a load the rifle likes.

Horizontal stringing is mostly due to shooter error (canting) or wind deflection.

For cleaning I use bore foam, either Wipe Out or Outers.
    Unread 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WRG View Post
    I think he stated he was shooting from a lead sled but even still one really needs to concentrate on sqeezing the trigger and not pulling. I know you said you were trying to eliminate the human factor but even on a lead sled your shot can pull if your anticipating the recoil. So the question is are the shoots moving left to right or right to left and are you left handed or right handed? This is a process of elimination trying to debunk a stringing problem in order to focus on what the real problem is.

WRG
    I was using a lead sled..but have found that the about of pressure i apply trying to controll the muzzle jump can effect POI...so i guess you are right there is no way to eliminate the human factor 100%

Im right handed....and to the best i can remember the first 3 shots were the ones inside the square...followed by the far left hit and then the far right...

Unread 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WRG View Post
    ICANHITHIMMAN makes a good point the barrel needs to cool between shots.

One thing you might want to do is make absolute sure your scope is not moving. Looking again at your targets I think I see that. Only because the groups seem to move from left to right and not verticaly. As you try different charges the velocity changes which normaly makes the point of impact change on a vertical scale not the horizontal plain.

Just one more thing to consider.

WRG
    I have thought about the scope..everything is tight but im using standard dove-tail leupold rings and bases and i know some guys dont like this for the heaver recoil guns....i'm thinking of upgrading to a seekens rail and rings.

Last edited by AtownBcat; 05-24-2009 at 11:50 AM.
    Unread 05-24-2009, 11:42 AM
    Silver Member

I would do like others have said a re-shoot the load. I would do four or five (5 shot strings) (20 -25 rounds) and compare the differences. If there is no difference and it's not you or the scope, I would work the load up from min to max. Nothing else you can do!

WRG

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
    Unread 05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
    Silver Member

I would also check (with the manufacture) to see if the bullet you are using and the twist of your rifle are compadable. That bullet may just not like your rifle and there's nothing you can do about that. Some bullets have a recommended twist listed on the box or on the website.

NRA life Member

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
    Unread 05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
    Silver Member

I should have started another thread about my son's 308, its getting confusing as to which load people are talking about.

the 300WM has a 1 in 10 twist so the 180-200's should be great

the 308 has a 1 in 12 so the 155-168 should be great

I wouls also like to say that this board is great and everyone is always quick to help out....thanks to everyone!!
    Unread 05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
    Silver Member

Ya, I was only speaking of the 300wm. I reload for both which are .308 caliber but can have different twist rates. I do reload 168 gr TTSX for my 300wm and it shoots 1/8" CTC consistantly but that's my rifle and it's a Begara barrel on a T/C Encore frame a whole different beast!

NRA life Member