Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Manual Powder Measures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Manual Powder Measures

In your opinion is a manual, "Bench Rest Grade Powder Measure" better than a, "regular" powder measure? How? (Or not).
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Manual Powder Measures

I have a Redding match grade and a regular RCBS powder throw. The Redding is more consistant. I heard the difference is the better throws may have tighter tolorances and the insides are polished better. I haven't pulled either apart to see though.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Manual Powder Measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
I have a Redding match grade and a regular RCBS powder throw. The Redding is more consistant. I heard the difference is the better throws may have tighter tolorances and the insides are polished better. I haven't pulled either apart to see though.
I usually will not throw anything much bigger tha 3031 or 2015 BR. Otherwise I simply throw the loads about a half grain light, and trickle the rest till I get what I want. With ball powders I usually throw powder within one tenth of a grain. 2015 is usually about two tenths of a little less.. I use a Lyman #55 and a Harrell Culver measurer. With ball powders there is little if any difference, but with the other two the Harrell is slightly better (as in very slightly). I've used the Redding BR30 and the 3BR as well. Both are fine measurers, but my Lyman is ever so slightly more consistent. Neither will run with the Harrell.

The Lyman is the steal in measurers! Sinclair sells a bottle adapter and drop tubes for them. They often can be found in new condition for $60 from Ebay. For stick powders, the old Belding & Mull is the absolute best out there.
gary