Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

managing powder lots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

managing powder lots

I have a couple different powders each in 1 lb canisters.. I am finishing up with one of the RE-22's and moving to the next one, in the middle of loadings for my 25-06. I probly have 5-10 charges of the old stuff and I want to load 45 rounds. What is the recommended practice of switching lots? can I blend in if I reduce my charge and work up again or can I simply continue using the same powder , same charge, I 'm only using 49.2-grains for a 120-gr bullet.. what are your guys' thoughts?? thanks in advance..
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: managing powder lots

ironically, I just read the "Brass Troubles" thread.. *(all components are same just switching powder lots) dont think I want those dents.

My charge is still rather light for this load , but I will plan on reducing my charge down to 47.4, but can I still mix the last few grain of one lot to the next lot? I know this is sor t of trivial but my mind is set at maximizing the use of components and no waste. thanks again..
Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

I load all my varmint rifles (4) with H414. When I get near the bottom of one 8lb jug, I just pour the remainder into the a new jug, mix it up real good, and keep reloading. No problema.

No doubt I should work my load back up with the new mix, but I haven't found it necessary. I'd probably be more cautious with faster burning powders.

I've read that the RLs can vary quite a bit from lot to lot, but since you will be re-working your load with the new lot anyway, I can't see any problem with mixing the new and old lots.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever-hed View Post
I have a couple different powders each in 1 lb canisters.. I am finishing up with one of the RE-22's and moving to the next one, in the middle of loadings for my 25-06. I probly have 5-10 charges of the old stuff and I want to load 45 rounds. What is the recommended practice of switching lots? can I blend in if I reduce my charge and work up again or can I simply continue using the same powder , same charge, I 'm only using 49.2-grains for a 120-gr bullet.. what are your guys' thoughts?? thanks in advance..

I would just buy a 5# jug (or two) and re-check and adjust the load as necessary. One pounders are ok for a first time try, but when you find it works, get the big jugs and then you don't need to worry for awhile.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever-hed View Post

If I only have a little left over, I just burn it on the front steps! Makes a nice little poof of smoke

Once I find a powder I like, I do just like GoodGrouper, I buy enough of a single lot to last a LONG time (like a couple 8lb kegs etc.)

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

go with goodgrouper on this one.

i have mixed the last little bit of h4831 and retumbo with no ill affects but i wouldnt advise anyone else to do it you never know what will happen.

i would never even try it with r22 because i have had to change my load up to 5gr less with one lot #. i would load up what was left and then start low and work up the new. i have had a few differ lot # in r22 that actually came out the same, but i would still not do it with r22.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

I overload ammo until the primer pocket gets loose, and then back off on the charge a safety margin ala Vernon Speer 1956.

Measuring the extractor groove with dial calipers for .001" expansion is easier than measuring the primer pocket directly with pin gauges.

I have found that some brands and powder are so consistent lot to lot, that the difference is down in the noise of variation from shot to shot.

There are brands and powders are more like bulk powder being sold as canister powder.

Good:
IMR
Alliant

Bad:
Accurate Arms

Hodgdon used to be bad, but is good now.

Winchester, I have not done enough testing.