Ok this may be a taboo set of questions but here goes anyway.
With recent events I am sure most of you are in (or getting close to)
the same boat as I am and run your supplies dry, any brand powder and pistol & rifle primers are just not available and if you do find individuals selling them there marked up at least 300 to 400%
In the past I have always said it was both cheaper and safer just to buy commercially made powder and primers and eventruly I think these supplies will catch up with demand (mite not be until after Obama is out of office)
But for now I personally don't like feeling helpless and am willing to throw out the idea of it being impractical to set up to make my own primers and powder , this set of questions is more to find the information to see if it is possible without excessive dangerous experimentation.
I have seen the information on using match tips to reload "old" primers and all kinds of videos and books on homemade black powder and that is NOT what I am asking about here.
I have been unable to find any real information to produce modern
smokeless rifle powders or primers (discussions/questions below)
I have even tried to contact manufacters but was unable to get even safety procedures form them. My hope is that maybe someone on the fourms has detailed knowledge of one or both of these that would be willing to share it with me on the fourm or by PM or email ??????
Discussions questions :
--- I can make some stamp dies to cut and form the copper cups and caps , but ...........
1) where do I find a source for anvils ?
2) what is the mixture for the igniter mix ?
3) how do you determine the heat of each mix? ie: std pistol , magnum pistol, std rifle, mag rifle, large rifle
is it the amount of igniter or one component that makes one primer "hotter" then another?
4) what is the max and min safe psi pressure to compress the copper caps loaded with igniter into the copper cup loaded with a anvil to safely seal it without setting it off?
Modern smokeless rifle and pistol powders
---- there seems to be lots of infromation on old fashion quick burning blackpowders but not really anything in detail of modern smokleess powders or how the mixtures differ to allow one powder to burn slower or another to burn quicker, nor is there anything about how the different shapes (flake, sphere, cylinder) are produced does anyone have knowledge about this subject?
1) what are or how would one find out the mixture of ingredients for a modern smokeless rifle or pistol powder per pound ? (just to narrow it down for discussion lets use examples ; ramshot's X-terminator or Tac for rifle and their True blue or Zip for pistol powder)
2) lets say we agree that different shape powder such as sphere, flake , cylinders have differences in performance depending on what you want to do, But how are this different shaped powder produced ? does anyone have pictures or videos of machines, tooling that is used ???